Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAVECOBRA

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have found that as my air consumption has gotten better the more I dive, my mouth and throat get very very dry. I am wondering if there are any tips I can get to help prevent this before diving. I was trying to take sips of sea water, but my DM told me that it wasn't a good idea because it may lead to a choking issue underwater.
Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

SCUDA - never tried it, don't even know if it is still around but it allows you to drink underwater.

Otherwise, just have a good bit of water before and between dives.

I've read of divers carrying a small Camelbak to drink from u/w. Never tried it.

There's also the Apollo Bio-Filter Moisture System that's used during the dive. Search for it here, there's a couple of threads about it.

Capri Sun works quite well.

I just put up with it. Drinking sea water would make it worse as it dehydrates you in the long run. Drinking liquids before and after help with it a bit.

Hydrate before diving. However, the air from the tank is pretty dry so you will have dry mouth regardless of how much hydration you have. Don't drink the saltwater, but let some of it get into your second stage. That's how I do it.

I was trying to take sips of sea water, but my DM told me that it wasn't a good idea because it may lead to a choking issue underwater.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Salt water may give you a temporary feeling of comfort, but it's the worst thing you can do for the problem. Salt water sucks hydration out of your body, and will actually make it far worse.

I like to put a starburst on the the roof of my mouth. I don't get dry mouth as bad.

Compressed air is really dry.

I just take a mouthful of water, swish it around and spit it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom