Dry hood: Waterproof vs Bare vs Pinnacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Plan to purchase 7mm dry hood without zipper to use with drysuit. Options wanted Waterproof vs Pinnacle vs Bare--am 5'4" small frame female, if this is a factor. Many thanks--drysuit newbie in East Tennessee

Phyllis:

Go with the Waterproof. I had the Pinnacle hood and it didn't keep warm much. I switch to a Whites with a zipper but the neck was so wide that it allowed constant flushing. Got a Waterproof 7mm and it's been awesome. I have zero water flush. The material is soft, supple, and keeps my head from freezing. It does have a minimal bid that tucks very well under the neck dam of my Whites Fusion. I even used it in Hawaii last month. I'm about the same height as you at 5'5.

C.

Well, I've had good experience with the pinnacle hood. I used my 5mm hood in 38 degree water w/o any issues. HTH and don't confuse more. Get up with me if you are inclined and we'll hit the philly quarry when it gets cold enough.

I have used a bare zip, bare no zip, and dui hood here in ak, all without skirts. They have worked quite well in our 36 degree water. My bare is a very tight fitting hood that because of the smoothskin seal works quite well. have not noticed a difference between the zip and no zip except for a broken zipper tab, so fpr me the simplicity of the no zip is attractive. Noticed a lot of people with otter bay hoods on the boat last week. seemed to work pretty well too. don't know anything about waterproof or pinnacle, so i can't offer any experiences with them.

Back
Top Bottom