Dry hood not so dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I got a dry hood put on my dry suit. So far I like it, but I've noticed I get some water into it. I suspect that's probably going to happen short of going to a full face mask.

The other possibility is that the hood is too big. It fits just about perfect for my head, but the latex is not stretched at all anywhere, even with a fleece cap on. I've noticed it seems to work better with my mask with the wider skirt.

The real reason I went with it is to keep most of the water out of my ears. I have had some problems with water getting in my ear, even when I use a hood. Pro Plugs help but they have their downsides too. The hood seems the best route.

Next question, the cap I got looks to be 200 weight, any one have a feel for how warm that will be. Initially I'll be diving 45 F water, but it warms up from there to about 65 F. The warmer water isn't an issue, I can dive that without a hood now, so the beanny will be just fine. Question is should I add a neoprene hood over top of it?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I've got a dryhood. My beanie that goes under it is I think maybe 100 weight and plenty warm. I never want anything warmer.

Sometimes a small amount of water dampens my beanie with a normal mask but not enough to make me feel cold. I dive a ffm mostly and never get the hood wet at all, but when I did use a regular mask it would be damp sort of like I sweated in it, not wet however. Be careful to avoid your head getting squeezed just like your body, especially if the seal is perfect in the neck area.

I don't think you need to add a neoprene hood over it.

So how do you prevent the squeeze in the dry hood. The only way I can think of relieving any of the preasure would be by clearing your ears, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

With the inner neck seal still in place the dry suit and the hood are pretty separate, short of putting a small tube or something between the hood and the neck seal like you do with dry gloves, I'm not sure how you would do anything about it.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me with it.

It's not normally an issue, but air burps up from the neck seal and will prevent squeeze. Sunday I experienced it for the first time, not pleasant. I've heard about it in class but never run across it. Usually I have a small leak into my mask and so when I equalize the mask the hood gets a bit and you don't run into it. The beanie you wear is supposed to allow the air to move about and prevent this, but it doesn't always work. You'll know it if it happens.

If you're beanie isn't warm enough you can wear a Neoprene hood over the dry hood. I watched Snowbear employ this trick she picked up in the cold Alaska waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom