Dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIRDiver27 once bubbled...
Where is the best price on DUI Dry Gloves I am looking for the DIR Blue insulated with ring seals. Any healp would be great.

Thanks
Don't know about that but I use Diving Concepts rings and the gloves are the blue insulated variety. Best price on the setup is www.covci.com but you can get replacement gloves at commercial fisherman stores.

I went to that sight and couldn't find the Gloves. So were these gloves originally for Commercial fishing and then developed for diving. I am planning to pick up a DC dry suit as well--pricing?

Thanks so much for your help, I hope that I can return the favor.

"I went to that sight and couldn't find the Gloves. So were these gloves originally for Commercial fishing and then developed for diving. I am planning to pick up a DC dry suit as well--pricing?" by
DIRDiver27

There not on their website.I emailed them and they qouted me a price of 130.00 including shipping to anywhere in the USA.Im probably gonna order me a set this week.If you email him he will also tell you how to size them for your hands.Hope this helps.

I just don't understand the DUI system. The gloves go semi-permanently on the suit, and there's no wrist seals. In the kind of diving I do, cold water wreck and cave, glove failure is always possible, and you really got to have a back up. Also, I find it useful to be able to pop off the glove without removing my suit, when I am all suited up and ready to go and an O-ring blows or a canister light bulb burns out and I need to be able to do some quick surgery without taking all my gear off.

I like the Sitech system. It's a little less fiddly than the DC, uses the same $7 blue fishermans gloves, and it fairy easy to get on and off. Wish it were a tad more rugged, but you can say that about any of them.

Oh, and the point of the tubes is not just to equalize the gloves - you and do that by leaving out the wrist seals or pulling your underwear cuff under them - the idea is to have a method of equalization that can be quickly defeated if necessary you can pull the tube out working through the glove or sleeve and isolate the leakage assuming of course you have wrist seals. Surgical rubber tubes are best but in a pinch (they are easily misplaced!) anything will do, soda straws, or bits of yarn or rope.

DNAXdiver once bubbled...
I just don't understand the DUI system. The gloves go semi-permanently on the suit, and there's no wrist seals. In the kind of diving I do, cold water wreck and cave, glove failure is always possible, and you really got to have a back up. Also, I find it useful to be able to pop off the glove without removing my suit, when I am all suited up and ready to go and an O-ring blows or a canister light bulb burns out and I need to be able to do some quick surgery without taking all my gear off.

I like the Sitech system. It's a little less fiddly than the DC, uses the same $7 blue fishermans gloves, and it fairy easy to get on and off. Wish it were a tad more rugged, but you can say that about any of them.

Oh, and the point of the tubes is not just to equalize the gloves - you and do that by leaving out the wrist seals or pulling your underwear cuff under them - the idea is to have a method of equalization that can be quickly defeated if necessary you can pull the tube out working through the glove or sleeve and isolate the leakage assuming of course you have wrist seals. Surgical rubber tubes are best but in a pinch (they are easily misplaced!) anything will do, soda straws, or bits of yarn or rope.

I used the DUI dry glove system for 3 years without any problems and I do alot of digging.. Since the are semi perm attached when on the surface you can put as much air in them as you wish.. (great on long surface swims - cross arms in front of you and you can keep your head nicely above water)..

I replaced them with SI tech gloves because I hated getting out of my suit between dives when its crappy out.. I have had the cuff/glove seperate under water and it wasn't pleasant.. first time it happened I was going down the anchorline in 34degree water.. needless to say I couldn't get on the boat fast enough.. and it looked very funny getting on the boat with my legs filled with water....

I am contemplating going back to the dui system.. right now I put a single wrap of duct tape around the cuff with a tab that I can grab to remove if necessary.. My alternate choice is a second set of seals which is probably what I'm going to do since I don't always wear dry gloves and my arm get wet with my standard seals and wetsuit gloves..

lal7176 Said.
There not on their website.I emailed them and they qouted me a price of 130.00 including shipping to anywhere in the USA.Im probably gonna order me a set this week.If you email him he will also tell you how to size them for your hands.Hope this helps. [/B][/QUOTE]

I saw these gloves in the store this weekend for Yes $7 There has to be a way that I can get just the DC Brand wrist rings/seals and make these. Has anyone done this? It seams that Uncle Pug may know.....

Thanks

It seams that Uncle Pug may know.....
And I will even tell you :D

Order the cuff rings and 0-rings from covci. Buy the replacement gloves for $7 (we pay $16 for the lined ones but when we run out of them in 10 years we are going to use unlined gloves and wear a polarfleece glove under them.)

But unless you know how to put the gloves on the rings... and I can't explain it with words... good luck. It helps to have someone show you. Bring them out to the PNW and I'll give you a lesson. Bring extra hands and fingers.

Thank you Uncle Pug I am from the Seattle area. We should meet some time. Thanks you and lal7176 for your help and good instructions on putting those together. I plan to stop by at Seattle Marine this week. I am guessing that the DC glove rings are about $30 or so? You sound like you prefer the unlined ones? I am really interested in picking up a DC dry suite. Any clue here? What an awesome forum for those wo love diving and saving money too

I am guessing that the DC glove rings are about $30 or so? You sound like you prefer the unlined ones?
Seems like the ones I bought from covci were more... in fact if memory serves me right (and that is less often these days) they were $45 for the glove side and $45 for the suit side... highway robbery for what you get.

Now since you are in Seattle I will suggest that you go to UWS (Aurora) and check out the rings and gloves they have. Different than DC rings and gloves but I liked the looks of the ones I saw this weekend. Cheaper too... $95 for rings and gloves.

The problem with lined gloves is that if you get them wet inside they are difficult to dry out. Worse... if you get them wet with seawater and you do not completely rinse them inside with fresh they will stink like low tide on a hot day.

We solved this drying problem by using a hose type hair dryer (sans bonnent)... I made a Tee out of PVC pipe that allows us to dry both gloves at once. Without the heat on... just air... we can dry a totally saturated pair of gloves overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom