Dry Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Ok I give up: how do "dry" gloves work exactly? Do they make them for people with childishly small hands?

Dry gloves are part of a drysuit system. They attach to the latex seals on a dry suit through a plastic ring and an o-ring. There are a couple of styles of rings and gloves but basically the glove attaches to the suit and your hands stay dry. If you have a drysuit you should be able to find gloves that will fit your hands. They come in various sizes and some have fleece liners. Very warm and cozy.

I just added a set of Viking rings to my old Scubapro dry suit this last weekend. Boy are they ever nice. It is hard to find gloves that fit well though. Seems most shops have customers with huge hands. I found that if I don't use an equalizing tube at the wrist I get better results. The squeeze makes the gloves fit better.

Joe

Gidds:
Ok I give up: how do "dry" gloves work exactly? Do they make them for people with childishly small hands?

They "click" or "push" onto rings on the end of the arms. O-rings keep the water out. You can buy stock gloves in a variety of sizes. It's also a simple matter to make your own. Any sturdy water proof glove will do. I buy ones for handling chemicals from a place that sells building supplies. They cost about $4.

R..

Anybody with experience using the dry gloves with their own latex seals? In other words, gloves where you don't have to put rings on your suit? I find the rings are a PITA to get in and out of my harness, and the brand (which I can't at the moment recall) that has the latex seals on the gloves themselves, also has the gloves in small, women's sizes, which might make them useful enough to get me to switch.

Yeah, I know the ones you mean. In that case the ring is on the glove.

As for getting into the harness, don't chicken-wing your arm or do it one arm at a time. Lay the straps open and get *both* arms into the harness just past the wrists to start with and then drop into it. The only really good way to do that is to rest the gear on something where you can sit down in front of it to do this. If you have min-van with a hatch-back this make a good platform for donning a hog harness. A pickup truck will do but then you need to do it from under the rig starting with your hands at your shoulders.

R..

Diver0001,
That, and adjust the dang straps so they are big enough.

Joe

TSandM:
Anybody with experience using the dry gloves with their own latex seals? In other words, gloves where you don't have to put rings on your suit? I find the rings are a PITA to get in and out of my harness, and the brand (which I can't at the moment recall) that has the latex seals on the gloves themselves, also has the gloves in small, women's sizes, which might make them useful enough to get me to switch.

http://www.scubacenter.com/NordicBlue.htm

I have used the Nordic Blue 302 gloves that have a latex wrist seal. They can be used with a wetsuit or a drysuit if you don't mind a little squeeze. While you can use equalization tubes with a latex wrist seal drysuit, I go without and they worked just fine. I would imagine for really cold deep diving (below 38 degrees and 100 feet) you probably want to have them equalized to reduce the squeeze and keep you warmer.

The only real down side to them is you really need an extra set of hands to get them on and off. Like regular dry gloves, they are fairly bulky on the surface, but they squeeze down at depth.

Two of my dive buddies use them as well, one of which is a woman with small hands. All of us have had them flood at one time or another due to not properly secure the wrist seal while trying to rush off a boat full of divers. The gloves still keep you hands relatively warm when flooded due to the squeeze.

Thank you, Cleveland Diver, those were the ones I had seen. I'm not sure I want to deal with gloves I can't put on by myself, though. The main attraction was that they came in small sizes. The dry gloves I tried before were so enormous that even with squeeze, they were clumsier than my wet gloves.

Have any of you ever tried the Henderson Dureatex Dry Gloves? They seem like a good little contender with a latex/neoprene seal and sealed seams.

gloves_ng55n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom