Dry gloves and underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've got a new drysuit, and have a few questions.

First, I'm interested in getting some dry gloves. I see all sorts of dry gloves out there (including OMS' which are apparently wet).. so does anyone recommend a certain pair or type? Do my hands stay warm? Can I maintain about the same level of dexterity I would with 3mm gloves?

Second, my LDS is pushing me to buy one of their $225 thinsulate undersuits. I think this is pretty insane.. I do most of my diving in cold water (40-50° F), but wouldn't a layer of polypro and some fleece do just as well? A few of my buddies have trilam suits and wear fleece under them, but are still pretty cold in cold water.. what do to? :confused:

I don't know how nesessary drysuit undersuits are. I have three thin layers of very warm pure wool sweaters and pants, and they work great. And I can adjust the warmth according to need by adding or removing a layer. Of course if I am to remove my suit between dives, I don't look very elegant in them :) But that's a lesser concern than warmth.

For the current temperature wool layers work just great, and since I have never dived in specially made undersuits, I cannot compare.
And I am curious myself, for harsher temperatures (like for ice diving) would syntetic undergarnment be better than old-fasioned wool layers?

Polartec 200 pants on sale at campmor.com $19.99 and 200 weight top- $19.99. Get the vest for another $14.99 and you are good to go if you get reaaly cold easily...

Diving Concepts has a dry glove and ring system that works very well. And yes these dry gloves are dry. They are also very warm and do a good job at insulating your hands in the temperatures your speaking of. In speaking of undergarments, they do tend to be expensive. I use the Weezle Extreme undergarment and they set me back $300.00 US. So $225.00 is not as insane as you think. Below in a link for Diving Concepts and for Weezle wear.

http://www.divingconcepts.com/

http://www.weezle.demon.co.uk/wds/undersuits.html

Back
Top Bottom