Dry Air Agitation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
How many people are sensitive to the dry nature of compressed air? I heard there is a regulator that humidifies the air before it is breathed. Has anyone bought such a regulator?

I found that I got a very dry throat when I started diving. It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I suppose its one of the many things that I have got used to.

Hi Tampascott,

.... may wish to consider. As you can see, some are cheaper than others, so you might wish to experiment before buying a special reg/moisturizing filter:

1. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis & Blizzard made by Sherwood.

2. Purchase the Apollo reg which has a "moisturizing chamber" into which you place a small, damp sponge. Or, an Apollo Biofilter http://www.apollosportsusa.com/biofilter-info.html.

3. Purchase a "Scuda," or a "Camel-back," nifty little diver's canteens which allow you a squirt of fresh water when you want it.

4. Pop a "Jolly Rancher," "Tic-Tac," or the like into your mouth before you enter, but tuck it between your gum & cheek to prevent choking on it.

5. Tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or run it along your teeth, as this will trigger salivation.

6. Rub a very small bit of toothpaste in your mouthpiece prior to entry.

7. Make sure you stay very well hydrated during the entire dive trip.

8. Take a long, cool, drink just before entering the water.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Originally posted by DocVikingo
1. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis & Blizzard made by Sherwood.

2. Purchase the Apollo reg which has a "moisturizing chamber" into which you place a small, damp sponge. Or, an Apollo Biofilter http://www.apollosportsusa.com/biofilter-info.html.

Doc, Great answer... There were some things I had never heard of and will try.

My question is, do these moisturizing regs really work? I looked at them, but didn't buy one. Do they really make a difference?

Ty

Originally posted by DocVikingo
Hi Tampascott,

7. Make sure you stay very well hydrated during the entire dive trip.

8. Take a long, cool, drink just before entering the water.

DocVikingo

# 7 & 8 work very well. Very important to be well hydrated, reduces bubble trouble and dry mouth.

Tampascott

I'd agree with devilfish on the low cost solutions to your problem.

regards

Originally posted by tchil01

My question is, do these moisturizing regs really work? I looked at them, but didn't buy one. Do they really make a difference?

I don't have a moisturizing reg, but I noticed a _huge_ difference between my old and new reg. I was diving with a Mares Axis, and I would go through about a liter of water after every dive trying to get the burn out of my throat. Dives over 20 minutes also became a little distracting with the burn.

I bought a Apeks ATX-50, and I didn't think anything of it on my first dive with the reg [because I was fighting with my computer the whole time]. Half way home I reached for my bottle of water to take a sip and I realized that I hadn't drank anything since I got out. Absolutely no dry-air burn. It's been wonderful ever since!

Hi Ty,

I've tried all the regs & moisturing contraptions that I mentioned. They all seemed to help somewhat, although none really banished dryness.

If you're really getting parched, nothing relieves as well as the "Scuda" or "Camel-back."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Originally posted by devilfish
# 7 & 8 work very well. Very important to be well hydrated, reduces bubble trouble and dry mouth.
...insert a plug for a P-valve...

no no....

I mean to put in a plug for a p-valve...

shoot....

I mean to suggest that you get a p-valve

whew, there...

A p-valve will solve your dry mouth problem...

Oh boy....

I mean it will allow you to stay hydrated...

hmmm....

what I mean is that folks avoid hydration when they know they are not going to be able to relieve themselves so installing a p-valve in your suit will allow you to do # 7 & 8 with impunity... infact you might even find yourself over hydrating just to enjoy the bliss of...

Ah.... I better stop and go get another latte...

Thanks for all those great suggestions. I think I am going to try that appolo bio-filter. I'll also incorporate all of the other suggestions by Doc. This board is a great resource. Good weekend to all.

Scott
Tampa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom