Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As morbid as this seems, does anyone have a youtube video illustrating these concepts?

I don't think that's morbid at all. I don't know if there's any such video, but there absolutely should be.

Some of the posters seem think that I authored this article. I would really like to point out that I did not. I was fortunate enough to come across it, and it's definately the kind of thing that needs to be shared.

The author's name is Mario Vittone. I highly recommend following the link in the OP. Lots of good stuff there.

I'm glad you all are as struck with it as I was.

It really opened my eyes up, I had always pictured the drowning victim splashing and waving their hands.

Is the legs not kicking phenomenon because the victim is obsessed with reaching the floor and not able to consider that kicking would keep them up or is something else going on?

I used to be a beach guard and in high school a pool guard and have taught WSI. The drowning response truly is not what most people expect, like the MOF thing, not to start that, but that is a voluntary action and drowning people generally are incapable of voluntary actions as they are literally embroiled in the act of drowning for lack of a better explanation. Several times I have responded to people in belly deep water who were drowning and so have others I know of the same thing. They are so involved in the drowning it is almost as if it was a willful act to the point they do not even realize they can stand up--and not drown. Not to be funny but people, children in particular, could drown in a hot tub etc.

You cannot--cannot--allow children into pools, tubs etc without constant supervision, they will drown in a heartbeat.

Here is a recent story, I swim laps at a local Y and the guards there are excellent and attentive. However, there were a bunch of school age children sometimes in the non-lap portion, even in the deep end. The guard was distracted I assume, because, as I swam laps and just before doing my flip turn I noticed a child and it caught my attention, I knew he was drowning, as I was some distance away, I did my flip turn, broke surface and pointed to the boy and the guard was in the water so fast I could not believe how fast he moved. I am sure the guard would have seen him in another few seconds, his fast reaction time tells me he was already having that "feeling".

This is not a human specific reaction, dogs will do the same response. They will literally drown before your very eyes without so much as a wimper, especially non water dogs like collies etc.

N

I used to be a beach guard and in high school a pool guard and have taught WSI. The drowning response truly is not what most people expect, like the MOF thing, not to start that, but that is a voluntary action and drowning people generally are incapable of voluntary actions as they are literally embroiled in the act of drowning for lack of a better explanation. Several times I have responded to people in belly deep water who were drowning and so have others I know of the same thing. They are so involved in the drowning it is almost as if it was a willful act to the point they do not even realize they can stand up--and not drown. Not to be funny but people, children in particular, could drown in a hot tub etc.

You cannot--cannot--allow children into pools, tubs etc without constant supervision, they will drown in a heartbeat.

Here is a recent story, I swim laps at a local Y and the guards there are excellent and attentive. However, there were a bunch of school age children sometimes in the non-lap portion, even in the deep end. The guard was distracted I assume, because, as I swam laps and just before doing my flip turn I noticed a child and it caught my attention, I knew he was drowning, as I was some distance away, I did my flip turn, broke surface and pointed to the boy and the guard was in the water so fast I could not believe how fast he moved. I am sure the guard would have seen him in another few seconds, his fast reaction time tells me he was already having that "feeling".

This is not a human specific reaction, dogs will do the same response. They will literally drown before your very eyes without so much as a wimper, especially non water dogs like collies etc.

N

Thank you for you insight, I too was a lifeguard for close to 10 years and have seen something very similar to this play out more than a few times. When I was teaching swimming lessons and training lifeguards I always made it a point to remind them them it only takes seconds for someone to drown and slip under the surface.

In addition to making sure that pools are secure I urge those of you with pools and those with children to get some training. Even if it is something as basic as CPR it is important that you know what to do if something happens.

N
That is true. A dear friend lost a beloved young Cavalier King Charles Spaniel this way. It was over two years ago and she still weeps daily because she could have prevented it...and didn't know it. :depressed:

Thanks for the post. Another example where television and movie producers, directors an executives sensationalize and over dramatize simple actions.

I nearly drowned when I was 7 years old. I lost foothold and got my mouth and nose below the surface before being able to take a breath. I still remember looking at the lifeguard but being incapable of doing anything other than trying to reach the bottom with my toes . I put my head back to get my mouth out of the water but it was still an inch too low. As in a slow motion movie I still see him do a long dive (like an Olympic swimmer) and in a few strokes he reached me and lifted me out of the water.

I have to thank him for my life.

That was 52 years ago, I still remember his name: Wadyslaw Pantovic, may God bless his soul.

I think this thread is certainly Sticky worthy ... I know that if the number is too many, stickys get lost in the list ... but it may be worth having in an area called What You Dont Know ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom