Drowning at Windy Point 10-13-2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only imagine what it's like to be present for something like this, much less be involved or have someone I love be the victim;

It's tough enough when it isn't a close friend or loved one (simply a dive partner, for example), I can tell you. Like you, I can't imagine what it's like when it is a family member or good friend.
I can say that in my case it was months (perhaps years) before I fully came to grips with it...if then.

************* MODERATOR POST *************

Please make an effort to stay on topic.
I deleted several posts in an effort to get this thread back on topic.
Please report off topic posts instead of replying to them.

Thank you.

A little bit of a different perspective...

--------------------------------------------------

Man dies at Lake Travis

11:27 AM CDT on Sunday, October 14, 2007

By JESSICA VESS
KVUE News

Click here for larger video

Travis country sheriff's officials say a scuba diver is dead after a dive in the lake. Authorities say the man's body was pulled from the water Saturday afternoon at Windy Point Park.

"His air tank still had one-thousand pounds of air in it, so obviously he didn't run out of air,” said Paul Brown, volunteer rescue diver.

Brown was just finishing his dive at Windy Point Park in Lake Travis Saturday afternoon when he heard calls for help. Brown says he turned to find a scuba master swimming to the shore with another diver in tow.

"One of the instructors from Corpus surfaced and yelled out that he needed an ambulance and he had the diver in tow. So we pulled him on up, helped him get him out of the water and removed his equipment. Wasn't looking too good, froth out of the mouth and all," said Brown.

Travis county sheriff's officials say the man was diving with a three buddy team when his partners say he began acting erratically and then disappeared in the water. His diving partners say they immediately began searching...but the crew was down about 85 feet where it's dark and hard to see more than ten feet in front of you.

"Lake Travis is not a clear water lake, it is some-what murky and visibility is limited," said Roger Wade of the Travis County Sheriff’s Office.

"From what I've heard he'd been in the water for 30-40 minutes until they found him, that's not usually a good sign," said Brown.

Sherriff’s officials say the man in his mid-50’s died at Brackenridge hospital less than an hour after nearby divers found him and pulled him from the water.

Even though the man was pulled from the waters here at Windy Point sheriff’s officials are not saying his cause of death was a drowning, they say while he was diving he may have suffered cardiac arrest.

KVUE News

"The EMS is calling it a medical incident, we'll have to wait for the medical examiner to complete its investigation before we say anything further," said Wade.

Sheriff's officials say they are still investigating the accident and have not yet released the victim’s name. They have not said whether or not the man was out diving for leisure or if he was in training. This is the third reported death at Lake Travis for 2007.

Just a note, you will find that most death certificates will list "drowning" as the cause of death in diving related incidents. That is because it is usually the final reason that the diver didn't survive in the entire chain of events.

This doesn't mean that there wasn't any precipitating reason the incident occured, such as stroke/heart attack.

Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom