Dropped weight at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructors recommend using both a weight belt and integrated weights divided up between the two. That way a person can lose the belt and still be buoyant, but not a deadly rocket.

After doing some drills for our DM class, (granted these were drills and do not represent the average situation) one thing became clear. Doing them in a weight intergrated BC was really tough. Remember taking BC off in openwater? We at least had weight belts on. With my full 5 mm wetsuit I'm about 12-14 positive. putting 8 lbs of weight and a SS 95 keeps me right in line at 500 psi. But if I ever had to remove my BC, I'm 12 lbs up and my BC is 12 down. If it ever got loose I'd never be able to catch it. I agree with keeping some of the weight on you, and some on the BC. Try to balance it out a bit. Gives you a few more options.

I've since moved to a BP/w so now the 8 lbs is on me, and the BP has the SS tank. And as mentioned the belt is inside the crotch strap so there's little chance of loosing it.

Made me remember this,,,I was diving the channel islands with my hubby...we were looking for lobster at about 70 ft. ...we were on a ledge that continued deeper ...i noticed that hubby was holding onto to the rocks and not moving ..i made eye contact and he motioned with his head in a downward motion...we had been partners for over 10 years at the time so I read his mind and followed his eyes down and say his weight belt had come lose and fallen. He had managed to catch it with his ankles...but he could not move..I decended and was able to raise his belt to where he could grab it and reattach it...we were very lucky that we were able to recover it and solve the issue without incident..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom