Question Droplets behind glass of SPG - where to go from here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisk919

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Background: Day 1/Dive 1 of the Bonaire Invasion I'm putting my DIN 1st stage on a tank, open the valve and there's no seal. I realize the center pin/hex screw had unscrewed a little during travel (or perhaps because I hold the DIN wheel and unscrew the cover which may torque that center pin/o-ring).

I tightened it up with the boat's allen wrench and think nothing more of it (other than be sure to check it more often).

Fast forward to the second-to-last day before diving, it happens again. I tighten it up again. Later I spot water droplets in the glass of my SPG.
I later blow out my 1st stage, hoses, and put the still-wet SPG back on to the high-pressure host to finish my last two dives.

My only guess is the night before it had come loose again when removing the reg, and when I put it into the rinse-bin it let some (presumably fresh) water in.

I blew the hoses out again when I got home, and put an old SPG on for now while I try to dry out this one (no luck after a day-and-a-half in the sun - see picture)

Since I don't really know how/when this water got into the regs I'm assuming the best course of action is to just get them serviced again?

As for the SPG: Is it trashed, and just get a new one, or continue to try and dry it out?

Thanks in advance,

--Chris

IMG_5260.jpg

Toss it, they are a consumable. The face glass oring is leaking, none of your attempts to blow air in or through it will have any effect on this moisture - which will cause corrosion in there quickly.

Toss it, they are a consumable. The face glass oring is leaking, none of your attempts to blow air in or through it will have any effect on this moisture - which will cause corrosion in there quickly.
I was wondering if this was unrelated to water in the reg itself... I thought the bourdon tube was isolated from the inside.

So this is just from a leaky face-seal.

Done, I'll toss it and get another.

I like these:

Mine is literally the 2-inch DGX. I can only assume somewhere in transit it took a 'whack' that undid the face-seal. Otherwise I really liked it for it's heft and readability.

I suspect a large number of these "made in Italy" SPG's are all the same under the hood except for face and branding.

Edit to add: even DGX says: "these popular gauges are sold under a variety of brand names, but are all manufactured by Termo Industria in Italy."

These were preferred back in the day -- they were very tough -- but now I just go with a Scubapro brass and glass, no doubt made by Termo.

1719281515157.png

Toss it. The lens seal is leaking.

I was wondering if this was unrelated to water in the reg itself... I thought the bourdon tube was isolated from the inside.
The bourdon tube is sealed yea

Good outome regarding service so get yourself a socket allen key set thing to put on your ratchet
this one is half inch and learn your din and get some orings and push the reg in when unscrewing

and don't tighten it like ten men or five women

279 010a (1).jpg

except the din thing with the allen key thing

You see you may be able to get away with, on board tightening for a little
and as the oring inside there twists and warps eventually you will lose seal

Whoops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom