Driving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At last some one is doing something about lane blocking.

Road rage on I-75 seems to be escalating.
Aggressive driving along Interstate-75 appears to be more problematic than ever.

"We're seeing the problem of road rage increasing," said Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Norman Parks, who has been patrolling the interstates for almost 15 years.

"It's scary to drive down here," said one driver.

"Weaving, tailgating, cutting people off," said another driver.

"When you get all of that, it can pose real problems," said Parks.

That's why Florida Senator Mike Bennett is pushing for the Road Rage Reduction Act to be made into law. It's designed to reduce the amount of people in the left lane.

"We have a lot of people in the state of Florida who unfortunately, drive in the left-hand lane and block traffic," said Bennett.

Signs in the median advising people to only use the left lane for passing don't seem to be working.

"We need a better tool to specifically deal with this issue," said Parks.
If the bill gets passed, there will be more signs like these and bigger ones.

If the bill gets passed, you'll not only see more signs and billboards on the roadways warning drivers to stay out of the left lane, but greater enforcement of that.

"We're trying to figure out a way to increase traffic flow and prevent citizens from accidents and road rage," said Bennett.

Bennett says the Department of Highway Safety's involvement is key to the bill working. If the bill passes, the department will be required to work with the Florida Highway Patrol to educate the public about the new law through an awareness campaign.

Oh good. ANOTHER law that is NOT needed. Maybe if the police would ENFORCE the laws on the books things would be better off. Oh, wait... having the good officers on patrol write tickets that are not money makers would be counter productive... Yes, many departments have become a funding source for the community they serve, ask the people who drive in DC.

MikeC:
Oh good. ANOTHER law that is NOT needed. Maybe if the police would ENFORCE the laws on the books things would be better off. Oh, wait... having the good officers on patrol write tickets that are not money makers would be counter productive... Yes, many departments have become a funding source for the community they serve, ask the people who drive in DC.

I thought staying in the left lane when not overtaking was against the law?, if so then it would just be stronger enforcement.
I also thought overtaking in the inside lane was against the law?

cdiver2, what I meant was that we do not need a new law; the politicians should let the police use the existing laws. In many parts of the country politicians, some police chiefs are politicians, think NEW laws are the answer. It means more time on TV and in the newspapers for the politician... Police on the streets doing their jobs is what is needed.

In Washington, DC the politicians are using the police to generate revenue to help with budget issues. That is WRONG.

I think we both want safer roads, but I do not support laws that aren't needed. Now if Florida does NOT have a group of common sense motor vehicle laws, then they need them.

There has been a big push lately supposedly (at least according to the signs) that FHP were trying to crack down on road rage. Where i learnt to drive we werent legally allowed to undertake (overtake on the inside lane), but it wasnt too much of an issue with people sticking in the outside lane. I have seen plenty of posters showing the line of traffic in the left and single car in the right in various different guises, both cartoon and from traffic cams. Personally i usually hit that inside lane and just get past these folks who dawdle at 60 in the left lane, dont get angry, just go past them.

I agree with you SB & MC the thing that I see that they should be trying to stop is the ones that sit in the left lane while there is someone in the right lane, you can not get past. The person in the right lane is doing the right thing, the one in the left should pull over or pass and pull over, then there would be no need pass on the inside or any road rage. As MC said enforce the rules.

MikeC:
Oh good. ANOTHER law that is NOT needed. Maybe if the police would ENFORCE the laws on the books things would be better off.

The problem with that statement is that in many if not most states, it is NOT illegal to sit in the left lane. In California for example, it's only illegal on freeways that are specifically posted "Keep Right Except to Pass", and you'll only find those on freeways that have only two lanes in each direction (i.e. I-5 through the Central Valley). So if there's no sign, there's nothing to enforce unless the person is driving considerably below the posted limit.

This is considerably different from say, Europe, where "lane discipline" laws are strictly enforced, since it's also illegal in those countries to "undertake" or pass on the right (on the left in right hand drive countries such as the UK).

RonDawg:
The problem with that statement is that in many if not most states, it is NOT illegal to sit in the left lane. In California for example, it's only illegal on freeways that are specifically posted "Keep Right Except to Pass", and you'll only find those on freeways that have only two lanes in each direction (i.e. I-5 through the Central Valley). So if there's no sign, there's nothing to enforce unless the person is driving considerably below the posted limit.

This is considerably different from say, Europe, where "lane discipline" laws are strictly enforced, since it's also illegal in those countries to "undertake" or pass on the right (on the left in right hand drive countries such as the UK).

I've been wondering how the "keep right except to pass" and "don't pass on the right" laws are written in various states. Most that I've checked -- where I've lived -- seem to have that on all limited-access highways... Maryland, Washington State, I think North Carolina.

Maybe it's not that practical, absolutely, when you have a bazillion lanes in each direction through LA! :wink:

Lane discipline here in Europe varies. In Germany, as you know, it's a hard-and-fast principle and law that's universally obeyed. Not enforced by the Polizei, even on the Autobahns, because the Polizei don't preventively enforce much... they figure it's a Darwin issue; if you get into an accident that's your fault, then they'll fine you severely. If you live. In Germany, it's rather enforced by a society that demands absolute discipline, and that won't cut you any slack if you make a mistake.

In countries like Austria and France, traffic on the Autobahns and Autoroutes is much sparser than in Germany. Maybe because of the tolls. There's also a 130 km/h (just over 80 mph) speed limit that's pretty much obeyed, so there's not as much speed differential as in Germany. People still have lane discipline, but it's not so much of an issue.

UK I think falls somewhere between... high traffic density, but lower speeds than Germany. I seem to remember pretty good lane discipline.

Here in Eastern Europe, the situation is a bit different. I think (to the amazement of even my Polish friends) that Polish drivers are pretty darn good. In the vast majority they beat the hell out of folks driving the DC beltway, in any case. But there's the 5% idiots that scream up behind you, pass on the right, and cut you off without a turn signal. Very much a zero-sum-game for those guys... they figure if you lose (in their eyes), then they've got to be winning. Turns out that Polish traffic laws actually explicitly allow passing on the right. Drives me crazy (pun intended).

--Marek

RonDawg:

Yes it is very different!!! In Japan it is the same as the States. Here it seems to be overwhelmingly trucks and slow drivers who hog the 'fast' lane - it's incredible. The first time I was exposed to this kind of driving was in the US driving from San Diego to LA. I couldn't believe it! :11: It just seems to be accidents waiting to happen the whole time that you are on the road. Personally I think that everyone should drive in Germany for a bit. I believe that now it's a little different there, but for years the German autobahns (highways) had no speed limits. Sitting in the wrong lane at the wrong speed there was just asking for trouble and people learnt very quickly. The only law then in Germany was the minimum speed limit in the slow lane I feel sorry for the US police - it must be very hard to keep some kind of order without the laws to back up what should be happening - talk about freedom out of control! I also don't believe in laws just for their own sake - but when it concerns communal safety I support them strongly.

I am from Germany and when I moved to North America, I was shocked by the lack of discipline on the Highways.
About 70-80% of the drivers in North America would run danger to lose their license if they would try to pull the same **** you see on our highways on the German Autobahn, and I'm not mentioning the fact that they will probably cause an accident within a short time. But what do you expect from a system that allows you to go around the block with Daddy or Mommy and than gives you a license. We are ranting daily about badly trained diver but nobody cares about badly trained driver :wink:
It's not completely true that there is no enforcement on the Autobahn but it appears so sometimes when considering the amount of vehicles on such a small space.
I'll second Marek, when he says that the Polish driver are great. They are considerate and will never try to prevent you from passing as we can see it here on our highways. On a single lane Highway, even the truck driver will move to the right and will allow you to pass them on the left side so you don't have to pull a dangerous manouver like passing on the right. It was always a pleasure to drive trough Poland except for the lack of a well built Highway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom