Driving with tanks upright in pickup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to build either a stand that will hold tanks upright when they are in the back up my pickup, or something else that will keep them standing upright. What do you guys think? Have any of you done something like this or do you just lay them down?

Keep your tanks laying down in the bed of your truck. There is much less chance of them breaking loose, sliding around, etc.
Simple physics. Standing up there is more leverage for the tank to "want to" move around. We truck multiple tanks around town almost daily and have found simple is better. Lay them down all the way foward in the bed and wedges (of any kind) between them.

Here is what my husband responded on a similar thread. Our upright tank rack was great It allowed lots of room for the rest of our gear and was very secure. The post has a link to pictures which explain the design. We have a different car now and dive doubles but this rack is still sitting in our garage!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2530735-post20.html

Miranda

I built a box out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood, it holds 6 tanks, with dividers for each individual tank. Fairly cheap, and the thing is heavy, the key is to make sure you use screws and not nails. I'll take some pics today, and post them. It was a really easy build if you have a circular saw and a drill.

I used a few toggle bolts to bolt 2X6's to the side of my bed, and then I put a boat load of eye bolts into the 2X6's. I run a strap around at most two tanks. It holds them very well, and it had no problems with my double PST LP 120's.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna design something like the rack with pictures in the upcoming week.

I want to build either a stand that will hold tanks upright when they are in the back up my pickup, or something else that will keep them standing upright. What do you guys think? Have any of you done something like this or do you just lay them down?

You can purchase some E track from Northern tool for 10 dollars and use bungies. Or you can purchase tank holders from Grainger, part number 4ey24 and they have padding and straps already to be mounted.

This is my trailer with e track with tanks mounted

trl.jpg

Picture of the Grainger tank holder

4EY24.jpg

E track mounted in a pick up truck...This is one of our service trucks

servicetrk.jpg

When I worked on an ambulance, I responded to a car accident involving and F-150 and a car. A guy had his ATV in the back along with several either scuba tanks or something similar in size. (I was working the patients and really did not have the time to check their size or contents)

Anyway, he made a left turn in front of traffic and was hit in the rear, right side causing his truck to spin and send the contents of the bed all over the intersection (yard sale). The unfortunate sole that was parked at the light having nothing to do with the wreck was the recipient of the ATV through the car window killing her. The tanks flew across the intersection. One entered a store front window (no one hurt) and the other kit a metal pole and split the tank. I have no idea if it was under pressure or empty.

IMHO, secure your gear. Even in an SUV, if you role or stop abruptly, the tank will take your head clean off. They sell tank holders all over the net. Laying them down unsecured, your just asking for a problem.

Let's DIVE! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom