Driving with tanks upright in pickup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi buddy i transport dive tanks alot and having a commercial truck for diving, the only way to transpot them is standing up against the cab. they should be tied or supported so that they cannot move. If you lay them down and have to hit the brakes really hard they will move and gear will come up against them, if you get rearended they will also move. take 2 pieces of plywood and make a rack about 5 feet long get a jigsaw and cut out the holes for the tanks, holes about 4 inches apart, then cut some 2x4 and insert between the 2 pieces if plywood on edge and also on the bottom. If you have a truck and must carry them lying down be carefull always stand up tanks when transporting.....and you also might want to check on the quantity of tanks allowed by your state cause after a certain amount you need the 1002 dangerous goods placard for hazourdous goods, bottom line if you can at all stnd them up, your valves will thank you......i know cause i been carry tanks everyday for 14 years....

Here's one I made. It'll hold 4 tanks but could've held up to 6-8.
Around $30 of material, 3-4 hrs. labor. I can take 2 nuts and bolts out and the whole thing comes out. The bottom tie downs are 2x4 covered in boat carpet from Walmart with eyebolts for cam-straps. The top piece is 1.5" x 1.5" aluminum angle drilled for U-bolts. attached to the bed with eyebolts in factory holes. Sorry I don't have more or better pics.

Get some "Roll Control" brackets and mount them to the side of the bed of your truck. These mount in a track that you can slide them up/down on.

Then the tank mounts flip up/down when needed.

adjustable.jpg
3stdtank.jpg

These are made by
Roll Control System - Diving, Fishing, Boating Accessories

If you want them more secure, then add a bunge strap, or a ratchet strap across them all. Or make a "base mount" that is a shelf with a tank hole in it to hold the bottom of them tank in place.

example as the piece holding the bottom of the tank in this pic.

magroll.jpg

I have two philosophies on the tank transport. If they are laying down... the tanks are positioned (as my instructor first taught me) if someone rearends me and the valve break... they get "instant karma". if i have alot of tanks to transport they do get transported standing up but they are secured to the point of the vehicle giving before the retaining device does.

rarely to people put them with the valve facing foward in the vehicle though...

I've not seen alot of people do this. but I've seen a tank valve get busted off and skip across a quarry's surface. I've also seen a tank shoot through a car. personally (sorry for being dark) i'd rather it not go through me or anythign like that.

Find a local golf cart shop and see if they have any golf bag racks they have taken off a cart. Our local shop sells them for $5-10, they hold 2 cylinders securely and can mount to the side of a bed rail or trailer wall with ease.

Works great with any size cylinder and has the straps attached securely to the mount...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom