Driving back to Volcano area (from Kona) after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as a tourist i dont think you want to be driving from kona to volcano at night after diving.part of the drive is along very winding cliff with sheer drop off on one side and it will take you a lot longer than two hours. also, the manta dive is done very shallow and right off shore in front of the hotel and they cover the bottom of the ocean with bright lights to attract the manta, so instead of spending a ton on money to do that dive, you can just snorkel out from the rock with a glow stick on your snorkel and enjoy the show from the surface and free dive down with a torch to get a closer view. driving from kona to volcano should be done the following day, taking all day and stopping many great places along the way to snorkel, shore dive, swim with dolphins, etc..such as pu'uhonua o honaunau and the bay just before that (cant remember the name) which has black sand beach, tall cliffs, and often dolphins swimming in the bay that you can snorkel with if they are feeling friendly that day.

Dear everyone,

Thank you very much for your kindness and responded to the questions that I posted two weeks ago.

We will stay in Kona per everyone's recommendations and will wait until the next morning before departing back to the Hilo / Volcano area.

I have an additional question since most of you are familiar with the area.

If we stay at the sea level until at least 9 a.m. on the next day, which is approximately 11-12 hours after the last dive, do you think it will be safe to go up toward the Mauna Loa Observatory (elevation of 11,140 ft.) or we should be waiting longer?

Thanks again.

... If we stay at the sea level until at least 9 a.m. on the next day, which is approximately 11-12 hours after the last dive, do you think it will be safe to go up toward the Mauna Loa Observatory (elevation of 11,140 ft.) or we should be waiting longer? ...
Using the dive profile info from your original post and the tables mentioned in post #4 above, you will be a NOAA J-diver after your second dive. The tables say to wait 24 hours before ascending to 10,000 feet. The table does not address elevations above that.

Short answer: I’d do Mauna Loa another day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom