DRIS 1k Shorty Died - need replacement advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

f28pilot

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to talk my buddy into night diving but she backed out on me after I bought each of us two lights from DRIS. We enjoyed using them during the daytime though and have used them on two trips to Cozumel for a total of about ten dive days. Last week one of the Shorties died with no warning in the middle of our trip. It does not appear flooded, no drops, it just would not turn on one day. We switched batteries and lower handles with the good light and still nothing. I bought these on reputation and am really bummed having an expensive (for me) light die for no apparent reason with very little use. They are carried in a padded box and there is not a scratch on them, the o-rings were lubed and there was no water in it, batteries were not stored in them and everything looks new at first glance. Not happy.

DRIS offered a small discount on a replacement but it would still be the second most expensive light I own behind the other 1k Shorty and if they just up and die maybe I'd be better off just buying disposable knockoff lights. Does anybody have any suggestions about testing or fixing something like this or any suggestions about other lights in this category? We use them very occasionally but enjoy looking under ledges and into holes for critters.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have,
Steve

We have been very happy with our Dive Gear Express lights. I think they are DGX600 and 800 if I remember correctly. I'm not a fan of the twist on lights, but I cant complain. You get about an hour or slightly less of burn time, and there is only 1 setting, but for $50 it's hard to go wrong. I have had mine for 2 years and still going strong. Get 2 so you have over an hour of burn time. Another thing, they don't get dim before they go out. They flash on and off.

They come with rechargeable lithium batteries and a charger. The 2 battery version is a little brighter, but both put out more light than you really need for a typical night dive.

Good luck,
Jay

DRIS and DGX light are made by a Chinese company name Brinyte. You can check them out in Amazon or ebay. I think Xtar D26 is also very nice for the price. To get something substantially better than these, you will probably spend substantially more money.

I have DGX 600 lights and Xtar D26 lights. The DGX are good. The Xtar are even better and only about $63 on ebay. They're both the same LED emitter as the DRiS Shorty, so they're all about the same amount of light.

But, the DGX return policy is forever. If the DGX light dies after 5 years, you can exchange it for a new one....

Thanks guys, I've been checking out the Brinyte, DGX and Xtar lights. I like the return policy on DGX a lot right at the moment because I'm pouting over a $95 light failing so quickly. The Brinyte DIV03 appears to be the same as the Shorty and takes AA batteries, which I like for commonality with other lights. Is there any difference there or is it just branding? (I'm searching now but so far haven't found the answer)

A couple followup questions - is it possible to disassemble the DRIS 1k Shorty lights? Maybe I could dig in and see if it's just a loose connection somewhere. (I'm on the road right now but may try that when I get home.)

Second, are there any other cheap lights that use AA or AAA batteries? I'm thinking maybe just get a couple "disposable" lights?

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

Between DRIS 1K shorty and DIV03, it is 100% branding. DRIS may have help Brinyte test and refine their design. Since your DRIS is dead already, I don't see any harm opening it. I think the retainer for the lens can be screwed off easily. It should be a good start. Brinyte will sell you parts if you need to fix it.

There are quite a few AAA or even AA light out there, but you won't get much brighter than DIV03 for 3xAA. Much less for AAA light. They just can't delivery too much current. Despite DRIS claim it is 1K lumen, it is really about 250-300 on average. It draws about 1A from the cells. Then the truth is a real 250lumen light is very bright.

Well no luck getting the retaining ring off. I'm guessing loctite or something like that requiring heat to get it off. Short of finding a wire loose in there is there really much that could be user serviceable in there? I could get out the torch and a bigger wrench but risk melting the circuit board.

Of course it's already broken...

Well no luck getting the retaining ring off. I'm guessing loctite or something like that requiring heat to get it off. Short of finding a wire loose in there is there really much that could be user serviceable in there? I could get out the torch and a bigger wrench but risk melting the circuit board.

Of course it's already broken...
When did you buy them? If I recall, you said 2014 or 2015 in the helpdesk ticket?
Just message me, I'll send you a couple new ones :wink:

Mike@diverightinscuba.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom