DRIS 1000 Style Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding flood/video lights, I had a bit of a brain fart the other day. Instead of using a diffuser to try to diffuse a light beam that's been focused by a parabolic mirror, why not replace that mirror with something that also reflects the light, but evenly in all directions? And such material is easy to come by, because anything that's just plain flat white does exactly that.

So I went ahead and disassembled my lights. Luckily they're built so cheap that you can just take them apart completely. After a quick test run with a piece of paper stuck into the head to make sure that this actually works as expected, I spray painted the inside of the mirror flat white. Of course this is a much more permanent solution than adding a diffuser which is removable, but it seems to work so much better (brighter and more uniform) and is so easy to do. I haven't gotten it wet yet, but I will next week. Not sure how the size/depth of the mirror in the head affects the result (mine are very small).

2013-10-07 12.27.02.jpg

Nice modification. I'd love to see photos of the results. Several of my local dive shops are now selling the identical light with their names engraved on the side (albeit for more money than DRIS).

Nice modification. I'd love to see photos of the results. Several of my local dive shops are now selling the identical light with their names engraved on the side (albeit for more money than DRIS).
I probably should have mentioned that I've done this with different model lights (the cheap yellow plastic ones), but it should be possible to do with any light, provided you can access the inside of the head where the mirror is. I'll post pictures of the beam later on.

Regarding flood/video lights, I had a bit of a brain fart the other day. Instead of using a diffuser to try to diffuse a light beam that's been focused by a parabolic mirror, why not replace that mirror with something that also reflects the light, but evenly in all directions?

Raftingtigger, on the board, has done something similar with a cone of tissue paper. Some reflectors are "dimpled" to accomplish the same thing---simply roughing them with sand paper may suffice. I suspect there is some loss if done with paint, but don't know if it's noticeable. The holographic diffusers are >90% transmission efficient, FWIW.

The holographic diffusers are >90% transmission efficient, FWIW.
I find them hard to come by and/or expensive. Paint is easy to get and cheap. But yeah, anything bright white (non glossy) stuck into the head would do the trick. I used some plain paper in my test run, but was afraid it wouldn't stand up to the heat in real usage, and I couldn't think of anything else I could (ab)use that would work. It beats the diffuser I used to use until now, so I'm not complaining.

The holographic diffusers are >90% transmission efficient, FWIW

you can NOT compare or use holographic diffuser with normal light ( full light specter ) with laser which gives ( depend on Wavelength ) specific uniform light ( made interference from group of lenses )

if you want max reflective but difussing surface on reflector , than spray it with colloidal TiO2 ( which is the whitest thing on earth )

Can give a link Special products product is called MR2000 ( we use it for 3D laser scan on reflecting surfaces MR2000 is for iso-propyl-alcohol -MR1000 is for water - it should

both be mixed in ultrasonic bath )

Nice modification. I'd love to see photos of the results.

Here we go. The main spill is the light that comes out of the LED directly, whereas the rest of the light that's reflected off the white paint is scattered in 180° direction all around, with more of it being in the center of the main spill and less the further off you go from it. So, not a perfectly uniform spill and not as bright as it could be if you were able to capture all of the light into a perfectly uniform circular spill, but for my simple needs it shall suffice. An additional weak diffuser in front of the lens might improve the uniformity. Results will vary depending on the size and shape of the light head you're working with.

IMG_6713.jpgIMG_6714.jpg

Or DRIS may have another light coming that has a swappable Video or Tight beam LED head......I wouldn't know or anything though :wink:

This is not the same light...this one comes with a dim-able magnetic switch, which may be nice....I have not tested it. The magnetic switched sre one of the most problematic things I have found on the Chinese lights. Untill I have heard that these switches are indeed as reliable as the twisty, I will stick with the ones we have.
I do believe it has the upgraded driver. If you have one, can you give us a report ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom