drink prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aye i think im going to be climbing a few coconut tres with my machete "Rambo style"
its a blast to watch me climb coconut trees because on the rare occasnion im left hanging by a coconut and thyen fall when it breaks.... not very fun.

Mobius1:
aye i think im going to be climbing a few coconut tres with my machete "Rambo style"
its a blast to watch me climb coconut trees because on the rare occasnion im left hanging by a coconut and thyen fall when it breaks.... not very fun.
Arrrghh... get you a short speargun with a long line on it. Whack those puppies from the ground. Best done at night though so there's a valid reason when you miss.
Do not use a powerhead.

danelen:
ggun, Now this is an innovative idea if I have ever heard one. Do you have any trouble checking this in, keeping it from popping open in the checked luggage system, etc.? I am diggin' it, just got to know the details.

I've never had the slightest trouble at check in, and when my wife, daughter, mom, and I go to CZM, we have three coolers. I attached a padlock and hasp to them all, and I used to duct tape them shut, but with the 9/11 security measures, I changed up a little. I use just a clip through the hasp, and I got some web belts and buckles from Academy to replace the tape (I still tape the buckles shut, and I also tape down the pullout handles on the coolers). Sometimes the inspectors open them, but they are no prob to seal back up. I've never had one pop open in transit.

An added advantage is that when we are successful deep sea fishing down there, we freeze dorado (mahi-mahi), tuna, and/or wahoo filets or steaks and bring them back in the coolers. Last year I brought back about 30 lbs of dorado filets, and they were still frozen solid when I got home. Mmmmmm. Fire up the pit!

With the wheels on the coolers and some bungee cords to secure other bags to the tops of the coolers, we can roll all our stuff ourselves through customs and out to the curb in one trip, and I gotta tell you, when I'm traveling with three women on a two week trip to Cozumel, we have a lot of stuff!

Great tips I am going to try this out!

ggunn:
I've never had the slightest trouble at check in, and when my wife, daughter, mom, and I go to CZM, we have three coolers. I attached a padlock and hasp to them all, and I used to duct tape them shut, but with the 9/11 security measures, I changed up a little. I use just a clip through the hasp, and I got some web belts and buckles from Academy to replace the tape (I still tape the buckles shut, and I also tape down the pullout handles on the coolers). Sometimes the inspectors open them, but they are no prob to seal back up. I've never had one pop open in transit.

An added advantage is that when we are successful deep sea fishing down there, we freeze dorado (mahi-mahi), tuna, and/or wahoo filets or steaks and bring them back in the coolers. Last year I brought back about 30 lbs of dorado filets, and they were still frozen solid when I got home. Mmmmmm. Fire up the pit!

With the wheels on the coolers and some bungee cords to secure other bags to the tops of the coolers, we can roll all our stuff ourselves through customs and out to the curb in one trip, and I gotta tell you, when I'm traveling with three women on a two week trip to Cozumel, we have a lot of stuff!

G

Who do you book your fishing with? Would appreciate it if you would PM the particulars. Sounds fun. Now I might have to go buy a traveling cooler!

5615mike:
G

Who do you book your fishing with? Would appreciate it if you would PM the particulars. Sounds fun. Now I might have to go buy a traveling cooler!

For many years Beto Nunez, a very well known waterman amongst the locals and an old bud of my dad's, set up our fishing every year. We'd find Beto when we got there, tell him when we wanted to fish, and a fully stocked boat with lots of beer on board would show up. Beto, unfortunately, has contracted Parkinson's Disease and is very ill, so we have had to resort to other means.

So now, I take a cab to the Caleta about 5 in the afternoon the first day I'm there and walk around looking at boats; usually the crews are washing them down and having a beer about that time. I talk to the skippers and make a deal. Usually they offer me a beer, and we talk about (in my very broken Spanish and their sometimes excellent Anglais) the fishing. Very amiable. It's much better, IMO, than going through an agent; I see the boat and talk to the skipper before I commit.

The last couple of years, we have been fishing with Carlos on La Graan Cosa, which is a great boat that can fish as many as seven folks. I've got Carlos' phone number somewhere; I'll PM it to you if I can find it.

Last year was one of the best. In three days of fishing, we caught 42 dorado (averaging about 30 pounds, the largest going about 50), four smallish blackfin tuna, one wahoo, one barracuda, two white marlin, and one sailfish.

Sorry about the slightly OT post, but I love fishing, too. It's ALL good!

Back
Top Bottom