Drilling holes in Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been using Jet Fins for about 10 dives now. One minor irritation I've noticed is that the foot pockets don't have any drainage holes in them. I was reminded of this last night as I hiked over a boulder field coming out of the water in the dark. I noticed that my arm holding the fins was getting rather tired......only to realize when I got back to my car that the foot pockets were full of water ;-)

I was thinking of drilling some small holes down near the toes of the foot pockets. Have other folks done this?

We had guys attempt to punch and even grommet holes in the end of the blade to make a d-ring connection point for packing on a ruck-sack and they eventually ended up splitting the length of the fin.

I would think there would be less stress on the boot portion though and of course you would use smaller holes...

Jeff lane

I see that as one more advantage of Jets. I use that water to wash the sand off my boots once I've arrived at my car. If carrying a couple pints of water is a hardship, you can pour it out as you exit. If you really want to, drilling holes will not hurt the performance of the fins.

Hi
Iv'e seen holes drilled in them many times!
And have seen a few sets rip up the pocket from those holes!!
I would not do it myself. But maybe im just to worried about having to spend money on anouther set of jets :)
Walter I too have used the water to clean my boots off hehe.
Rick L

Glad I could help. Of course, I also keep a jug of fresh water under the car to rinse my car key (no salt water in my lock) and any left over sand from me or my gear.

I always keep the water in the foot pocket to rinse by booties and gear at the car.

We do the same as Walter and Wendy... use the water in the fin pockets to rinse off the boots... however I did have a friend who drilled holes in the foot pockets of his Jets.

Since we are always diving cold water we carry at times and igloo cooler filled with hot water. We use this to warm hoods (and wet gloves for those who have them) before the next dive and it also comes in handy for rinsing.... I especially like to rinse the Stinger after the last dive.

The trick with hot water in a cooler is the only thing that's saved us on some winter dives.

For my winter dives in Florida I carry...ice water.

Guess I'm getting a little punchy this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom