Drifting diver rescued from Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M

Published: May 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM

NEW ORLEANS, May 15 (UPI) -- A diving instructor from New Orleans was recovering Wednesday after being rescued from the Gulf of Mexico where he had been drifting for three hours.

U.S. Coast Guard officials told The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune that John Anders, 33, had been spearfishing from a catamaran-type boat Tuesday when he was thrown into an undertow, perhaps by a malfunctioning oxygen tank, and was adrift in the water for hours. (Who knows what these reporters think! How the heck could that happen???)

Anders couldn't be heard yelling by his fellow divers, and instead of fighting against 4-foot seas, decided to drift to what seemed like a nearby oil rig. But the rig was actually eight miles away, and he became exhausted, the newspaper said. A rescue effort was launched when Anders failed to show up for a diver check-in.

He was eventually spotted by another ship, whose crew radioed the Coast Guard. A helicopter already searching for Anders then was dispatched to rescue him. He was not seriously injured.

I pass the article on as FYI. This is another example where a whistle and surface marker bouy / dive sausage could have helped.

I hate it when I get thrown into an undertow by a malfunctioning oxygen tank.

I frickin' hate it when that happens.....

:wink:

DiveAlert anyone?

And were just discussing the undertow, malfunction oxygen tank procedure over a beer the other night. Or was that many beer?

You think they have an editor?:rofl3:

I hate it when I get thrown into an undertow by a malfunctioning oxygen tank.

I frickin' hate it when that happens....
Even worse is when you're grabbed by a riptide that was created by your buddy's reg free-flow...

And were just discussing the undertow, malfunction oxygen tank procedure over a beer the other night. Or was that many beer?

You think they have an editor?:rofl3:

It was really a bummer the last two times this happened, but now thanks to my buddy coming up with the quintessential solution to breaking free from the undertow I just can't wait for the third time(the charm) to try our new procedure......when the oxygen tank malfuctions and you first become entangled in the undertow, dump all the air in your BC (steal some extra weight from a diver near you if necessary) and get really negative bouyant, sink down as rapidly as possible to 200' to get underneath the tow, then dump your weights, max inflate your BC so you can assend as rapidly as possible(to rush through the undertow on your way up to the surface)...but remember most imprortant......since you were down to 200' and your air supply may be a little low, hold your breath on the way up so you don't run out of air before reaching the surface.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Published: May 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM

NEW ORLEANS, May 15 (UPI) -- A diving instructor from New Orleans was recovering Wednesday after being rescued from the Gulf of Mexico where he had been drifting for three hours.

U.S. Coast Guard officials told The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune that John Anders, 33, had been spearfishing from a catamaran-type boat Tuesday when he was thrown into an undertow, perhaps by a malfunctioning oxygen tank, and was adrift in the water for hours. (Who knows what these reporters think! How the heck could that happen???)

Anders couldn't be heard yelling by his fellow divers, and instead of fighting against 4-foot seas, decided to drift to what seemed like a nearby oil rig. But the rig was actually eight miles away, and he became exhausted, the newspaper said. A rescue effort was launched when Anders failed to show up for a diver check-in.

He was eventually spotted by another ship, whose crew radioed the Coast Guard. A helicopter already searching for Anders then was dispatched to rescue him. He was not seriously injured.

I pass the article on as FYI. This is another example where a whistle and surface marker bouy / dive sausage could have helped.

This article tells a few more details, however, it seems the CG PO was a bit confused.

New Orleans diver rescued after drifting for three hours - Breaking News from New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

John Anders had been spear-fishing from a 26-foot catamaran-type boat near an oil rig located 30 miles south of Grand Isle when a possible oxygen tank malfunction propelled him into an undertow and carried him 300 yards away from the boat.

"Maybe his tank leaked or somehow decompressed," said Petty Officer Scotty Hendricks, a Coast Guard operational director. Anders was fishing near the rig because waters near them are typically good spots to spear sports fish.

John Anders had been spear-fishing from a 26-foot catamaran-type boat near an oil rig located 30 miles south of Grand Isle when a possible oxygen tank malfunction propelled him into an undertow and carried him 300 yards away from the boat.

Why do images of Wile E. Coyote skipping across the water riding an ACME oxygen tank come to mind?

and get really negative bouyant, sink down as rapidly as possible to 200' to get underneath the tow, then dump your weights, max inflate your BC so you can assend as rapidly as possible(to rush through the undertow on your way up to the surface)...but remember most imprortant......since you were down to 200' and your air supply may be a little low, hold your breath on the way up so you don't run out of air before reaching the surface.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Don't forget the signature fist raised over the head and screaming to "infinity and beyond!!"
:D

Back
Top Bottom