drift diving in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mutt BW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going on a cruise in Jan and booked a couple of dive trips. In Cozumel, from eveything I have heard from others, it is a drift dive and if so,it will be my first. Just looking for pointers to what I may experience so I have an idea of what I will need to do. I have an advanced open water cert, but again, first time on a drift dive. Thanks in advance.

Relax, watch buoyancy, go with current - don't fight against it, have a good time.
A lot of the drifts are along the top of a reef, others incorporate swim throughs, some are on walls. If on a wall, just keep close eye on depth, you can drop 10 feet or more before you realize it if you're not paying attention.

I love drifting coz. Don't stress about it.

You will have a wonderful time. Drift dives are awesome -- like flying! To make things easier, be prepared. Being weighted right is important. If you can, do a check out dive just to get them right. Some of the DMs will carry a few extra pounds if you discover that you are a bit light at the end. I always get my wetsuit wet before the first dive so I can descend quickly. Get on the boat prepared, set up right away, and get your gear in order. Watch when people start getting ready because everyone needs to get off the boat quickly if there is current. Listen carefully to the DM's briefing -- it's especially important to be near the DM at the safety stop and when going to the surface. Know how they want you to get on the boat. If there is current, they will put out a tag line to hang on to while others board. During the dive, relax and go with the flow. Watch the DM -- stay behind him/her and no deeper. Have fun. We were in Cozumel in November and I already miss it.

Relax, watch your bouyancy, relax, don't fight the currents, relax. Seriously, a light current is the absolute best diving in the world. You exert less, which means lower gas consumption. If you want to stop to get a better look at something, you can back kick or (if you've not mastered that skill yet) turn into the current and fin to hold your position.

The boat will follow your bubbles. A DSMB will be shot before the assent, so the boats know exactly where you are.

Pay attention to your group - getting seperated is a bad idea.

Occassionally two groups will pass each other - I've never been sure why the faster moving ones don't SLOW DOWN, but whatever. If this happens, and the faster moving group passes through your group, keep an eye on your group. I've seen a person from our group start to speed up and follow the other group...

There are lots of swimthroughs off Cozumel, especially on the deeper dives. Strict bouyancy and frog kicking so you don't silt it up for the people behind you. If you're not comfortable in swim throughs, make sure the guide knows this ahead of time.

Carry your own SMB and other signaling equipment, just in case.

If the current is too heavy for your comfort, thumb the dive.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard! :admingreet:

I hope you booked direct with a Dive Op and not thru the boat. For first time diving Coz, especially for a :newbie: - hiring a private DM is money well spent. Have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom