Dried Seahorses on Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My girlfriend and I just got back from a week on Isla Mujeres and even though "part" of the port was closed (not quite sure how that works but we were the only dive boat visible until the afternoon) we had some very interesting and fun dives. We did freeze our posteriors off on the last dives though. We went with Aqua Adventures and thought they were a good dive op. Due to the weather we had to pass on a couple of the usual options but they knew where the good diving would be and we were very satisfied.

While in town we came across a shop that had a large bin filled with dried seahorses. This kind of thing makes me sick. In my entire diving career I have only seen a half-dozen or so live seahorses and there I was looking at dozens of dead ones. It seems to me that they should have more value alive which might attract more divers to the area. I do not recall seeing any dead, inflated porcupine fish on I.M. but have seen many in Puerto Vallarta. I boycott any restaurant or shop that displays these particular dead creatures. I'm have not yet settled on how I feel about dead starfish but I've seen them my entire life so perhaps I am simply de-sensitized to those.

One excuse that was offered to me on Isla Mujeres is that the seahorses were gathered from "far away" which doesn't make me feel any better about it. It just makes me think that wherever they got them is probably a very good dive site teaming with life. Hopefully the Mexican government will someday outlaw the gathering and and selling of these and other delightful creatures.

Disgusting.

no different than any other trinket you purchase at that souvenir shop. it does suck, but to be fair, you'd have to take all those sand dollars, shark jaws, teeth, conch shells, etc off the shelves.

reminds me of people that say they couldn't eat deer meat, but they are ok with cows. Whats the difference? most people don't consider cows cute like deer.

One excuse that was offered to me on Isla Mujeres is that the seahorses were gathered from "far away" . . .

Did they have "Imported from China" stamped on them somewhere?

They are sold by the pound in NY's Chinatown. Traditional Chinese Medicine. I've seen bucketsfull there.

Seahorses are fairly rare on reefs but common in grassy bays and inlets from Rhode Island to Florida. I've seen as many as 50 in a couple of strikes through eel grass with a large seine.

Last edited:
no different than any other trinket you purchase at that souvenir shop. it does suck, but to be fair, you'd have to take all those sand dollars, shark jaws, teeth, conch shells, etc off the shelves.

reminds me of people that say they couldn't eat deer meat, but they are ok with cows. Whats the difference? most people don't consider cows cute like deer.
Speak for yourself, I never buy this kind of sh!t.

They are sold by the pound in NY's Chinatown. Traditional Chinese Medicine. I've seen bucketsfull there.

Seahorses are fairly rare on reefs but common in grassy bays and inlets from Rhode Island to Florida. I've seen as many as 50 in a couple of strikes through eel grass with a large seine.

Everything seems to be a traditional Chinese medicine or delicacy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom