dribble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Yesterday when I got back from the dive I noticed a salt crust on the disc of the jog dial :11: :11: and a dried drop going down the front inside of the housing. GRRRR! Luckily nothing else.
How troublesome it is to change that O-ring? Would it be time to think of a Ike?

It's not hard to change that o-ring IF you have the right size. I changed the one on the jog dial while in Roatan. By not making sure the camera was seated right, I stressed the shaft just enough to let in a drop of water.

There's an article in the library on Digital Diver about changing the o-ring and the sizes you need. I had thought of ordering the various o-rings and put some kits together but haven't done it yet.

I must correct myself, wasn't the jog dial, it was on top of the plastic disc of the program dial....most likely same difference as far as the o-ring goes....

Lisa,
Seems like you haven't had that housing long enough to have O-ring problems already. Perhaps it was just because the camera wasn't seated properly in the housing stressing the shaft as Dee stated. I would try it again before taking it apart.
I have already lubricated all the control O-rings on my PT-010 by placing a drop of liquid silicone on the shafts and working it in by pushing the control plunger or moving the dial up and down. So far so good.

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Get some food grade liquid silicone, Trident makes some in a pump bottle. I used a small syringe to place a small drop of silicone in every button 'joint' then worked each buttom/dial several times to distribute it. I replaced the small o-ring on the jog shaft and when I took the old one off, I noticed it didn't seem to have any lubricant on it at all. I may not have need to replace it but did so since I had it taken apart. That's when I decided to do the silicone thing. Sure did make the buttons smoother.

Dee:
I was just going to suggest the same thing. Get some food grade liquid silicone, Trident makes some in a pump bottle. I used a small syringe to place a small drop of silicone in every button 'joint' then worked each buttom/dial several times to distribute it. I replaced the small o-ring on the jog shaft and when I took the old one off, I noticed it didn't seem to have any lubricant on it at all. I may not have need to replace it but did so since I had it taken apart. That's when I decided to do the silicone thing. Sure did make the buttons smoother.

where would I get this silicon from ??

I got mine in a dive shop.

I have a photo of what the Trident liquid silicone bottle looks like at the bottom of this page on my PT-010 site.

I know Roger has a bottle of that here somewhere....Thanks so much for your tip. You're priceless!

...also, just a footnote on water drops... from someone who has flooded more than my share...
Get some of the Absorbent Pads, cut them to fit and put them in the housing to absorb any moisture that might get in... I've found that it's usually about 1 tsp that will fry a Digital Camera... and those pads will pick up all of it... saving the camera..

Hope that helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom