Dremel Tool use and accessories in Dive Center Service Department

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least in Europe, every hardware store has a selection of Proxxon tools available. I have been using them for over 35 years and when I retire in the US my colection will go along with me since the powersupplies are also sold in the US as 120V volt models. Otherwise I would have had to butcher my 220V powersupplies by replacing the transformers.

Michael

I use a rotary tool for removing old glue/roughing up surfaces when doing drysuit seals. I use a variable speed tool and 80 grit sanding cones.

Sanding Cone Set 52 Pc

This "brand" is equivalent to the "Dremel" brand?
Very similar. Maybe fits better in your hand too. If you get the 5A powersupply you'll have more than enough power for anything and the speed regulation of the powersupply is really first class. Using the sanding drums to lower the exhaust port of a govt 45 is hard work and you'll have to let the tool cool off while you are working since it gets really hot after 10 minutes of work at full strength. I have 3 Micromot 60's which means that I can swap them out when they get too hot to hold. If you're not abusing them, like I do when lowering a 1911 exhaust port, you'll be really happy having only one.
PROXXON - Hand-held power tools 12 V

Very similar. Maybe fits better in your hand too. If you get the 5A powersupply you'll have more than enough power for anything and the speed regulation of the powersupply is really first class. Using the sanding drums to lower the exhaust port of a govt 45 is hard work and you'll have to let the tool cool off while you are working since it gets really hot after 10 minutes of work at full strength. I have 3 Micromot 60's which means that I can swap them out when they get too hot to hold. If you're not abusing them, like I do when lowering a 1911 exhaust port, you'll be really happy having only one.
PROXXON - Hand-held power tools 12 V

S&W, Sprinfield, Kimber, etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-Z

S&W, Sprinfield, Kimber, etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-Z
Would you believe Springfield Armory/Drake National Match slide with NSN, Remington unused 1942 mil slide, ExWW2 Ithaca slide, FABRICA DE ITAJUBA-BRASIL 1911 slide and a couple of Colt Model70 slides which are inferior to the old WW2 military slides. I most liked the military match barrels that had to have the locking lugs filed to fit the frame/slide spacing. Those were the days when the guy running the 529th MP company arms room was a fellow competitor and a friend.

Michael

Bought a Dremel for use in the shop, for much the same reason you are contemplating one. But it turns out, about the only thing I used it for, was to modify other tools (like thinning down the tips of pin wrenches). It turns out it's much too aggressive for most scuba work, where you might have a bit of verdigris but don't want to take off chrome. It's soft brass underneath most regs, not a steel 1911 part. Those guys can indeed use a tougher tool.

As noted above, a little hand work to restore an orifice is all you need. I go through a pack of Micromesh sheets every six months. But I haven't replaced a single Dremel bit yet.
As a "once in a blue moon" tool, yeah. It's nice to have around. But it just sits collecting dust.

I use dremel (not original, just chineese one) very frequently, but not for diving accessories, but for another home use and repair.
For regulators - most usefull for me was bullet tip for polishing. I`d described it here:
Repairable :)
Air Barrel question - corrosion? Scubapro G250V
btw: ours original GOI paste (GOI is Государственный Оптический Институт - State Optical Institute) you can buy also at ebay e.g. Russian paste GOI for grinding, polishing and sharpening 30gr Паста ГОИ №2, №3 | eBay
you will have barrel surface like this
s-l500-jpg.530626.jpg

My favorite felt tip is like
61oxaZKkA2L._SX425_.jpg

it most usefull and easy of use.

for regulators... only once I use another - for DIN thread on Chineese (Taiwaneese) regulator from WMD - this thread was not cutted enough :) and I made it little more deep... I did it :) using sandpaper disks like
08.-sanding-disc.jpg

It usefull for delicate cutting.

All another tools I use just for cutting for many MANY another things for home usage.

For cutting of hard matherials my favorite is
fd11b316-bcf9-4804-9578-de776d65ca05_1.72e46cfd6d38dfd74be822698e1f5f38.jpe

Yes, just as on the picture - original Dremel disks. It very usefull and most comfort, but... too expensive.

Also I use another disks
dremel-cut-wood-new-cutting-disc-circular-saw-blade-grinding-wheel-for-rotary-tools-metal-bit.jpg

But it very easy breakable...

For more soft things (for wood or plastic) I use cutting disks like
HTB19iMVhsLJ8KJjy0Fnq6AFDpXaY.jpg

It looks like tin, and soft like tin. but for plastic it is good. When you buy it - take SOME spare :) (also exists similar disks but made from hard alloys, it is nice... but very expensive)
Last my usage of dremel was with this disks - I`d cutted front plastic frame from 19" LCD monitor :) (installed IR Touchscreen, to convert my daughter`s PC terminal to the painting board) - less then 30 mins - and was done.

Also used, but more seldom this sandpaper cylinders
sanders.jpg

Nice, but you have to buy much more spares, it ending very fast.

sometimes I use this abrasive tips
413o3Plc4CL.jpg

But for soft matherials (like plastic) it is not suitable - small particles fills all abrasives, and it became like polishing :)
For hard matherials it is nice, but same as cylinders above - eated very fast.

more seldom I use diamond sand tips:
Pneumatic-power-tools-Diamond-grinding-dremel-tools-Polished-Abrasive-grinding-head-dremel-tools.jpg

It very nice for very small and tiny work. Also as engraving of glass :) (e.g. now all our glass shots at our work is personalized, with our personal marks)
Most usefull is ball tips, and narrow cone tips (bottom line in the left and middle)

AND MOST usefull tools - is tungsten carbide tools, for 50% of usage:
-carbide-rotary-file-6mm-shank-double-cut-rotary-burr-for-metal-and-non-metal-dremel-rotary-tool.jpg

and
dremel-drill-bits-for-metal-tool-glass-bit-cutting-micro-carbide-shank-tungsten.jpg

This two - is my most favorite tools. You can do 50% of work with it :)
Cutting plastic, wood, cleaning edges, making MANY different holes, etc.

AND! Do not forget to buy Flex Shaft! (better to buy set of cheap Chineese "dremel" in set with Flex Shaft.
or you can buy original, but for price of whole set of motor, shaft and tips :)

Hope, it will usefull hints for you and others, who still have not magic tool like Dremel or clone of it :)

P.S. yes, you can use brass brush, like mentioned above... but I hate it! :)
tiny pieces of wire throwing to the all sides, and you be get tired to clean your room from it...

AND NEVER FORGET TO USE OF
safety-glasses-330x362_1.25x.jpg

If you like Dremels don't go looking at dental lab micromotors...

Dental lab suppliers stock every type of burr, grinding disc, cutters, polishers.

For some of today's work I used my NSK motor at 50k rpm for a couple of hours. I got hotter than it did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom