Dreams influenced by SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone else here see significant differences in their dreams after being certified?

One major aspect that I love, is hovering over land, then I inhale and I float above the treetops. After several of these dreams, I realized that this floating ability in my dreams was a result of my brain being conditioned to seeing the ground fall away when I inhale when diving. This is really cool, and I can't be the only one that experiences this. And no its not Pizza before I go to bed.

Another wonderful type of dream is simply being able to jump in the water and breath normally and look at the cool fishys. I once realized I was dreaming when I realized that there was no reg in my mouth.

The only downside to these type of dreams is numerous dreams when I have been super excited to dive, and I forget some part of my gear and wake up before I can actually dive.

I love these dreams.

Yea very often. Most of my dreams relate to what I have done during the day or week but with weird twists so diving is often included. About 90% of my dreams are nightmares though so generally I am drowning or stuck or lost or fighting off sea monsters. I am a happy person when I am awake and I am not scared in normal diving, so it is kind of weird. But I figure maybe my brain just gets all the negative stuff out in sleep rather than in real life. I remember leading up to my Cave course I had all these dreams about dying in a cave but when I rocked up to the course I felt fine and wasn't nervous or anything (well I was nervous about screwing up skills, not about getting lost and dying). Weird.

One thing I find funny is that even in my dreams I am wearing full gear, ascending slowly, checking my gas, laying line if needed, doing decompression stops, etc. It's actually kind of annoying because it would be fun to just dive without worrying about the rules and I never can figure out how I get into such trouble in my dreams given I'm following the rules. :confused:

Wow thats a big difference from my dreams. I'm not encumbered by any equipment in my dreams. Your experiences are really interesting though!

I wonder if I can get flamed for my unorthodox diving practices by the SB scuba police in my dreams?

I didn't dream much before I got certified. The last few months I've had a diving-related dream every night. Last night I was skin-diving though. I'm trying to come up with a way to dive every morning when I get up, similar to how my surfer buddies jump in for an hour before work, etc.

Maybe. But I seldom remember my dreams unless it's a flashback.

dreamed about being consumed by a Great White ...... haven't been seen since

Last night I dreamt I was on the lake, in a boat, and about to go diving when my reel jammed. I had to fix the knots. I was about to hop in when my alarm went off.

It has been too long since being certified to recall. Most related dreams that I can remember are freediving; sometimes to my wife's alarm. I will occasionally wake up on breaking the surface feeling calm and deep inhaling. I was advised that it is not frequent enough to be concerned over sleep apnea.

Last edited:
So no one else hovers and floats above treetops by inhaling in their dreams? Am I the only one?

Maybe PADI can offer a cert for this. :popcorn:

Good stuff y'all!

Think I've had some dreams about scuba, but I don't think any involved being in the water. Hard to remember-maybe driving to the shop, or talking about a dive to someone in my dream. Or, maybe just too much SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom