Dream Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackdav

Reaction score
OK ..... I've just about decided to get "seriously" into scuba. And with this decision I am resolved to buy equipmen that I'll be happy with for years to come. So, here's my dream list. I can't really afford it, but most likely I'll brood on it for a while and then in a fit of foolishness go put it all on a credit card (which is how I got LASICS and I am glad I did). If anyone thinks that any of my choices is or may be a mistake, I sure appreciate hearing about while I'm still brooding on it.....

My (dream) List

B.C.: SeaQuest ProUnlimited
Octopus SeaQuest SeaQuest Air Source
Regulator SeaQuest Apeks TX100
Computer Oceanic Data Trans Plus

I got all of my opinions for this list from reading various posts here and reviews on Rodales and elsewhere and talking to various people in dive shops (the opinions of the rare percieved a-holes have been disregarded) ... so I really don't know how good this selection is, but I invite comment. Thanks to all!

Jack

pretty darn good if you ask me... the octo I'd go with the TX40...

One other thing.. why the pro unlimited..

If I've learned one thing about bc's it's FIT that matters..

If it doesn't feel good you won't be happy.. make sure you try a bc before purchasing... do whatever you have to do to borrow one.. dive groups are the best way to do this...

Don't buy a bc simply on it's reputation or what others have to say... there are tons of posts in here that will tell you the same..

HOWEVER... the Pro Unlimited is a pretty sweet bc (beware you are paying for some things you may not want) like that little knife if comes with... I WOULD NEVER PUT A KNIFE RIGHT BY MY REG HOSE... other than that it really is a good buy..

GOOD LUCK :D TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

I agree with wheezy, go for the Tx-40 octo.
The Tx-100 is a great choice.
I'm not familiar with that computer.Mine is a Suunto Cobra. I plan on getting a Mosquito for back-up.
Pro Qd or the Unlimited is a great BC. but do yourself a favor and try a few different BC's before you buy. I originaly planned on getting the Pro-QD. After trying several others I bought a Transpac II. I probably would have been happy with the Pro QD, If I had never tried the Transpac. Also the Transpac II can grow and change with my diving.I also like the back inflation.

Happy shopping :D

Tavi

Tavi, and wheezy, thanks a million for the well considered and well expressed responses. The only reason I initially wanted to go with the "air source" was that it was combined with the inflator hose for that BC. I liked that idea because, with the hoseless dive computer, there would then be only two "hangy downy" things to be concerned about: The one that was supposed to go in my mouth all the time, and the one that could also not only go in my mouth or someone else's mouth to provide air, but could inflate my BC. In the limited diving I have done, one thing I didn't like was having to feel around for my gages, inflator hose, and octo...... and experiencing some confusion about which was which..... so am I missing something? COuld you elaborate on why you both like the TX40 so much better than the air source?

thanks,
Jack

Jack,

If I was buying equipment today, I too would get the TX40 for the octo. My reasons are simple. Apeks makes a sweet regulator. The TX 40 is a quality 2nd stage which is very reasonably priced these days.

As to the hose issue. The first couple of dives I made I would have agreed with you, but after you get used to where everything is, it becomes 2nd nature to reach for the inflator hose and get it first try...ditto the primary 2nd and the octo. I think you would find in short order the dangly things are a non-issue.

As to the BC, comfort is key. I too prefer the back-inflate due to the more streamlined configuration in the water.

another arguement to the hose issue is that IN CASE someone else did need that octo... your bc control is gone because they have it in thier mouth...

Never seen that system... but I would still say go with the TX40... you would want both to be seperate...

Maybee consider a mares airtrim system or dacor... at least check them out... the dragon fly is my next bc (can't wait til christmas and bday)

Hey JackDav...

Not intimately familiar with your equipment choices, but I do have an observation.

First, name brands are cool go with one... just make sure YOU are comfy with it in your mouth and/or on your bod. The people who reccomend equip (especially the LDS) will NOT have to live with your choices. You will, and YOU are what counts here.

As for the Integrated Inflator/octo, here is my take. I dive with one (Tusa duo-air), and am about to change it out. Here's why... on last my four dives I was a Dive Master backing up an instructor on checkout dives. On the very last dive, the diaphragm on my primary reg pukes (just had been serviced too!!!) and I had to use the octo to finish the dive. Well damn, you know how you ascend with your left hand holding your octo ABOVE your head??? Well, you can't do that with it in your mouth! I also got some pretty worried looks from students who thought I was breathing through my inflator hose... :tease: The joke was on them, and I straightened them out when we got on the surface. It helped them in two ways... they saw how important a backup was and that I didn't panic, and they also saw the limitations of "super sweet" equipment.

I hate to say I bought a gimmick (actually, I bought three), but it's true! My opinion: Go with the stand alone octo...

Jack-be-Nimble,

I like your choices--I have a Pro Quick Draw and have loved it, but I was looking at the Ranger(the Warhammer influence) when I got a close look at the Pro Unlimited and my heart fluttered. I really liked the way it looked and fitted me. Now, the knife thing--I would hang a light there and put my folding Ti knife where it is now: on a retractor inside my cumberbun pouch.

NetDoc, it pains me to have to dissent with you! If Jack gets the AirSource, he will be able to ascend without doing the "NetDoc Manuever". I have done it with my AirSource: with the mouthpiece in your mouth, you pull down on the hose and it opens a valve at the opposite end of the hose from the mouthpiece. I guess you might have to hold your mouthpiece in your mouth, but that is the only "unnatural act"--can't you guys keep your minds out of the gutter while I try to be serious?

I have never seen the Tusa octo and so, I do not have the foggiest about its characteristics....

And, I, too, liked and like the idea of not having an extra "thingy" dangling--keep it clean, lads!

I have Sherwood reg setup that includes an Oasis second stage, and have no experience with Apeks--but it sure looks like they do not need a Florida recount around this Board!

Joewr--from the right, but not as far right as Bob Novak.

Hi Jack,
A few things I heard from other divers helped me to decide to go with an octo vs. an integrated air source. In an Out of air emergency you donate your primary and you take the integrated.( keep in mind you and the other diver are probably in an exited state) your breathing off your integrated air source, try looking to the right there may be enough hose. also you will be ascening. AND I have been told that at 100 fsw the integrated air source may be like trying to suck start a Harley! This is a lot going on all at once. I think if I ever need it, the octo will be well worth having an extra hose, even on all the dives that I didn't need it. Also a couple of instuctors have told me that in an OAE they are not giving up their primary as this could lead to having two over-exited divers instead of just one.This means you would need an octo to offer the out of air diver.

Yes we all train for it, but how many are calm and cool, and do it as per their training when it happens? I don't necesarily mean you, it could be the person who is in need of air.

Just a few thoughts, sorry if I rambled......

Tavi

VERY WELL PUT....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom