Drawbacks of Sidemount, compared to backmount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You either "get" sidemount, or you don't. It's not the right tool for every job, but it works for a number of us and is an easy way to dive twin tanks without having to spend a lot of money on bands and manifolds. Like anything new, it requires you to open your mind to doing things differently. If this upsets you or makes you feel less in control, then sidemounting is not for you and that's OK. I haven't encountered the place that a backmounter could go and I couldn't. This includes single back mounts and it's obvious to most that the converse is just not true. That being said, I like the freedom and awesome trim that sidemounting affords me. I just don't go around looking for holes I can squeeze through. :D

..When squeezing into tight places it was easier to take off/put back-on, back-mount to do it....
are you saying the squeezing in to tight places and removing gear is easier n back mount then side mount?

are you saying the squeezing in to tight places and removing gear is easier n back mount then side mount?

Well....obviously... duh?!?

Doing a complete remove of back-mounted doubles and stages, with associated hose routing, light cord management etc etc... in a confined, silt-ridden, dark location has got to be more safe than unclipping a couple of bolt-snaps and re-orientating sidemount cylinders...

Didn't you know that James?? :wink:

Exactly, you were already a cave diver. I can't think of a single non-cave diver I've trained in sidemount that told me he/she wanted to dive in small passage, even after completing their cave training. Granted, some of them probably change their minds after a while. In fact, I know some have. I regularly dive with one of them now. But that has only come after full training. The decision to go sidemount has never been to go small but rather because of the other benefits they see to the configuration.

Rob, I have mixed feelings about teaching OW divers to SM, especially after hearing what Ben McDaniel did. What was his initial motivation in seeking that training?

Dave

Sidemount is more streamline. I have never tried more then 4 bottles though!

Yeah once you have more than 2 stages, sidemount is dreadful. There's just so much wasted space on your back. Might as well have doubles there and much cleaner side(s) for stages.

I agree - 4 stages in side mount is just dreadful. :demented:

Check out video number 7 at Gosidemount.com, then check out the other link:

Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts & HP Hartmann

Trying Z-plus Sidemount harness with 6 tanks -
www.diveph.com - YouTube

Personally, I prefer 4 stages in side mount to 4 stages in back mount, as it feels cleaner in the water, swims better, and the bottles are easier to manage, but maybe it's just me.

Having stages hanging down like giant man boobs is just silly. I've had 2 steel SM tanks and 4 AL80s on and it was pretty blech. Once you have dry rings/gloves on managing clips underneath other tanks is a royal pain. Certainly scooter territory to move efficiently, heck I even see Mr. Hartmann is going through gas pretty fast and dropping stages in rapid succession :wink:

I had 2 stages on my sides, both topmounted. And leashed the second 2, there was no point in making myself even more a cross sectional brick.

I can only comment on my experiences with SM diving in ow around SEA. This coming from a guy who hasn't received any formal sm training only self taught from what I have seen and also from advice from other sm divers including Edd Sorenson.

1. The learning curve is somewhat steeper then with bm as there are no fixed guidelines to how to mount the tanks, depending upon the diver the bungee cord length and various other attachments are all somewhat different from diver to diver. No real biggie but sm is really in its infancy when it comes to procedures for mounting gear and tanks.

2. Gear familiarity, is almost non existent. The operators of places I've dived have never seen such a rig to being or even heard of sm diving.
Good luck getting help if I get in trouble lol.

3. Boat entry and exit can be a bit tricky in rough conditions and more so if the boat's deck is tall. What I had to do is mount the tank necks to my d rings first hug them tight during entry.

For exit I have to unclip and hand over my tanks before getting onto the ladder and unlike bm which I can get onto the boat with the full gear. I just takes a tad longer but in rougher conditions that extra time can be bad.

4. Getting access to my thigh pouch is next to impossible so all my previous gear setups have to be modified for sm diving including the placement of my can torch.

5. The balance of the tanks can also be a bit tricky. W bm, both tanks are used at the same time but with sm one side is will be get lighter as gas is used and this does make balance and trim a bit tricky.

6 With a single tank dives, I am still trying to get used to how to properly balance/trim myself with all the weight on one side of my body only.

All in all being a sort of rebel/pioneer is cool but can be a pain when I have to figure things out on my own mostly lol.

I can only comment on my experiences with SM diving in ow around SEA. This coming from a guy who hasn't received any formal sm training only self taught from what I have seen and also from advice from other sm divers including Edd Sorenson.
What you're saying is that you have to THINK more!

1. The learning curve is somewhat steeper then with bm as there are no fixed guidelines to how to mount the tanks, depending upon the diver the bungee cord length and various other attachments are all somewhat different from diver to diver. No real biggie but sm is really in its infancy when it comes to procedures for mounting gear and tanks.
The curve is significantly shorter if you have a SM instructor. If not, you'll have to think things through more. :D

2. Gear familiarity, is almost non existent. The operators of places I've dived have never seen such a rig to being or even heard of sm diving.
Good luck getting help if I get in trouble lol.
You're right. People are eyeing my set up wherever I go. Makes you think a bit more, which is not a bad thing.

3. Boat entry and exit can be a bit tricky in rough conditions and more so if the boat's deck is tall. What I had to do is mount the tank necks to my d rings first hug them tight during entry.

For exit I have to unclip and hand over my tanks before getting onto the ladder and unlike bm which I can get onto the boat with the full gear. I just takes a tad longer but in rougher conditions that extra time can be bad.
I worked that out on my own by thinking things through. I can walk up a ladder just as easily in side mount as I do in back mount. You can find a blog of my thinking it through here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/422096-choker-clip-solutions.html?

4. Getting access to my thigh pouch is next to impossible so all my previous gear setups have to be modified for sm diving including the placement of my can torch.
You have to re-think how you carry stuff. Some of the solutions are so stinking simple that they work well for either back or side mount. That doesn't stop them from eluding peeps who aren't willing to think the problem through.

5. The balance of the tanks can also be a bit tricky. W bm, both tanks are used at the same time but with sm one side is will be get lighter as gas is used and this does make balance and trim a bit tricky.

6 With a single tank dives, I am still trying to get used to how to properly balance/trim myself with all the weight on one side of my body only.
I haven't noticed either of these, but I only monkey dive with a single aluminum.

All in all being a sort of rebel/pioneer is cool but can be a pain when I have to figure things out on my own mostly lol.
Notoriety has it's price, but it beats the heck out of regurgitating the decisions of others as being yours. Side Mounting has caused a lot more thought to be put into how we dive. There's nothing to complain about in having people think more. I rather like it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom