Drawback to a brightly colored wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not want a bright colored wing, but not for the reason that you’re concerned about. My wing (HOG 32lb) is red and black. Over time...the red portion of the wing has gotten discolored. From dirt, grime, mud, etc. I’m assuming.

If I had it to do over again, I’d get an all black wing. Just my two cents.

The only real drawback to a colored wing is that it will fade and look like crap. I was working at a shop that sold mostly custom color wings and they all faded out pretty quickly.

I have an older Red 36# DR Rec Wing and a Hog 23# black wing with a red stripe. The red fades but the color difference is easy to see underwater. If you really want to be seen, my wife and I both dive Avanti Quatro fins. I have a yellow set, my wife's are white...so we switch and dive one white and one yellow. Even at night we can find each other quickly and safely. A friend dives one Pink and one Blue fin and is easy to find as well.

Finally, for classes in warm water, will wear a dry fit type long sleeve safety yellow shirt. Between the shirt, fins, and red wing, there is no doubt which diver I am.

Good luck,
Jay

When I was at ADEX in Singapore last April it seemed the only colour that was not available was black. Even Halcyon had multicoloured wings :eek:

Personally I'd prefer that there was more colour in diving gear although when photographing three of my friends recently one of them with a white mask, fins and stage tank really upset the white balance.

full.jpg

with diminishing light we lose red first, it's interesting to watch yourself bleed black blood at around 10M

Some of these manufacturers are a disgrace, where you can buy excellent quality colourfast cordura on ebay
for ten bucks a metre

and you pay hundreds of dollars to OXYCHEQ for this quickly faded POS

full.jpg

Hey dmazuik at that price I'm glad those steamers are sold out
I might have to go see that big bwana elephant hunter dentist guy
and see if he can't skin me a zebra or two

I really miss my safety orange AT-Pac. I could be seen and distinguished from everyone else very easily. My wife loved it as well, as it made it much easier for us to stay together.

I remember orange, yellow, blue, pink and red wet suit material as not being that difficult to find at the time (80s) as well. Lots of multi-colored suits then.

I also recall a dive master who loved her black and white "orca" patterned wet suit with a white At-Pac wing.

I'd really like to have some non-black options, even if just for easier recognition or even just for fun.

the walrus logo for waterproof is nifty, too bad their prices aren't lower now since they are made in china

Now this one I love, the wing is so bloody huge though, been meaning to bungee it. Nah!
only use it with double 10s ish

full.jpg

kept it's colour good 40 yrs I think made in Mexico

and this old stuff, well

full.jpg

they brighten up nicely underwater for the first ten metres

Back
Top Bottom