Drake's Bay Costa Rica Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone recommend a dive op in Drake's Bay? I think the diving goes mainly to Cano Island, but we kinda wanted a good dive op to try when we get there. Thx!
=Terry

I highly recommed Drake Bay! go for it. it's the best diving you will find in Costa Rica. it's a place out of the way, but some great diving..next best thing to Cocos Island!

Thanks scuba65! We heard from Terrence on Utila that the diving out of Drake's Bay was great for pelagics, which if you get tired of reef fishies, would be a nice change, eh?

If you or anyone have a specific recommendation about dive ops there, I'd sure be happy to hear them. We are thinking of staying in Jinetes de Osa.
=Terry

There isn't any dive operators there....the lodges that they have there have diving available. Drake Bay is a place really out of the way. you're limited on luggage you take there...you can't take your diving equipment if you were planning on it. from the airport you have to take a boat to the lodges if you're staying at any of them on the island.

we're consider Drake Bay for this Spring.
you're saying you can't take diving equipment with you?
what about your dive tool, dive computer, snorkel gear, etc?

I understand they do the dives around Cano Island, but is there any snorkeling elsewhere? I mean, if you wanna get in the water, is it ALWAYS the hour ride to Cano? Nothing off the beaches?

So the night dive(s) are at Cano too? Has anyone done that there?

THanKS
cra2

except a cylinder to Drakes Bay, no problems at all...

The boat ride to Cano was just short of an hour each way and we only were offered two dives per day. One dive, then a SI and lunch on the island and then a second dive.

We stayed at Jinetes de Osa, the owners told us that they could arrange shore diving if we insisted, but that it basically sucked.

The best dive OP in Drake Bay is called Cano Divers, I would stay clear of Jinetes if I were you....night dives are almost unheard of around Drake Bay, certainly not a night crossing to Cano Island so you are pretty much stuck with shore diving aroudn the Bay and it basically sucks...good luck!

Just curious, why would you "stay clear of Jinetes?"
We just got back from a trip and we dove one day with them.
It was OK but I don't have much experience in the area to compare it to.

I agree that night diving in Drake is not very popular. The crocodiles and bullsharks could really ruin a night dive. Just walking outside at night in that area is an adventure.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom