Drager Dolphin:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norm

Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge. This particular model is available locally, the training for it is available locally, and this seems to be the model of choice for rental at many resorts. Does anyone own or have extensive experience with the Dolphin, that they are willing to share?
Thanks,
Norm

I have been researching this product for over a month now...I have obtained training manuals from TDI, ANDI, and have 2 other books about rebreathers in general.

The only reason I am not taking the plunge right now is I don't want to use it where I live..Chicago area. I don't want to rent this equipment, but would feel comfortable owning it so I just cant justify it right now.

I am still thinking about taking the PADI course on it which my instructor can teach me. I might do that this summer just to see if I really like it.

From my research I do find it to be a solid and proven unit for SCR diving. Don't let the CCR guys tell you any different....they are spoiled on their CCR's and rightly so, but when I think of rebreather diving I am only looking at the Dolphin....for now anyways.
:rolleyes:

jepuskar once bubbled...

From my research I do find it to be a solid and proven unit for SCR diving. Don't let the CCR guys tell you any different....they are spoiled on their CCR's and rightly so, but when I think of rebreather diving I am only looking at the Dolphin....for now anyways.
:rolleyes:

As a self-described rebreather fanatic, I often recommend the Draeger Dolphin, even though I own a modified mixed-gas Inspiration. The choice depends upon the type of diving one plans to do. For recreational, as opposed to technical, diving the Dolphin makes an excellent choice. It is simpler and less expensive. It is well made and dependable. Draeger has, after all, been building rebreathers since 1899. Parts and service are readily available. It is even becoming fairly common to find them as rental units. For all of these reasons, as well as the basic benefits of rebreather use, the Dolphin makes sense! :wink:

Like everything else, no one thing is right for everyone. It wasn't right for me, but others seem happy with it.

I highly recommend reading "Mastering Rebreathers".

Btw, I know someone switching to the Inspiration and selling their Dolphin with extra O2 monitor/computer in the near future. Keep an eye on ebay.

Whats your experience and intended dive profile? for 70' rec dives the dolphin will be fine. other than that I would get a ccr. Personally I dont notice a drastic enough difference between the dolphin and OC to justify it. Also dont dive it blind, make sure you get an oxygauge.

I myself have also been looking at the Dolphin model. I have been doing alot of research about this specific model. My conclusion is that it should make a great recreational unit but thats about it. My problem is that there is only one person I know who dives it in my area, so It might be a little difficult to dive it as much as I want to do. Unless I become extremely self proficient, which is what I want to do anyways. Just my .02

Nice unbiased discussion. I am too taking the plunge after taking some training.

Can it be used for moderately deep dives (100-130 feet). I know you can't do that with High FIO2, so can you do it with less oxygen? or is this a contradiction?

Thanks

compressor once bubbled...
Nice unbiased discussion. I am too taking the plunge after taking some training.

Can it be used for moderately deep dives (100-130 feet). I know you can't do that with High FIO2, so can you do it with less oxygen? or is this a contradiction?

Thanks

they can be used to 130 without any special mods, although the mix is pretty lean and as you approach the surface the risks increase especially if a jet becomes partially clogged.. A PO2 monitor is a must.. flow rates are pretty high with lean mixes so the gas extension isn't that great but its quiter than OC..

I think if you push it to 130 feet with EAX32 you are looking at a PO2 of 1.6 I believe. It will bubble alot more as what PSP mentioned...the flow rate is higher so your bag will venting more gas.

This doesnt attract me....what attracts me is it capabilities on shallow dives. For instance, Colombia Shallows in Cozumel...30 ft max reef......excellent reef and life everywhere.

With a dolphin you could use the EAX60 and with a 28.3ft tank, you could have an air supply of 140 minutes. Max depth would be 44fsw with a PO2 of 1.4 so a 30ft dive..not a problem. Ohh man, your no-deco limit at 30 feet is something waaayyy longer than your air supply. Your other limiting factor is your 24hr exposure to PO2.

Man, I am getting excited just thinking about a 2hr+ dive on that reef..a quiet dive no less.

However, not everyone would be happy with a 30ft dive.....you could find a nice meeting point..maybe EAX50 or 40 that gives you the depth you want.

Anyway, I highly recommend the TDI Manual for the Dolphin. Excellent material..all of the values I used above came straight from that manual. good stuff.

Ok, Im too fricking excited right now...darn you guys.hehe

@ 130 feet with eanx32 you would only have 45 mins of O2 exposure time for 24hrs. That is if you are staying withing the rec limits of nitrox, since they give no SI credit for O2 exposure. i would just dive deep with OC and enjoy the dolphin when you can take full advantage of it in the shallower waters. then take an advanced nitrox course and really enjoy it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom