drag the flag or not?

Do you bring a flag?

• Drag the flag everywhere you go

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Drag the flag to some central location and anchor it but stay near it at all times

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Drag the flag to some central location and wander away

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Don't bring a flag at all

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We almost always drag it with us due to travelling around looking for stuff. Last dive we anchored and moved around for bottle pickup. After we surfaced at boat, we watched another boat go right up to the dive flag and almost get prop tangled in line!! @#$%@#$%@#$%@#$% uneducated boaters.

Now having second thoughts about keeping flag overhead.......

If we use a flag, we take it to our exit point/deco stop and tie it off. If we needed to surface away from that point, we would blow a marker bag/bouy.

I hate dragging the flag around....

At our favorite dive site, there are no motors allowed on the lake. Pretty much everyone ties off their flag when they start the dive and then we just head out and do the dive, picking it up on the way back in. On lakes w/ heavy boat traffic we carry it with us, but we don't like it.

if I know it's a site with lava formations and swim throughs, I tie it off and try to stay reasonably close.

If it's an area that is open all around, I'll drag it.

I also will admit that *occasionally* I have seen someone else's flag tied out there (out here people usually tie off their flags and leave it throughout their 2-3 dives of the day, including SIs) and not taken my own because I know one is out there. :rolleyes: I know, I know. No spankings please.

weight_for_me once bubbled...
Hey Bottom Sucker...clairify your message...when you say "we" don't you mean let Butch103 drag the flag....he he he. :D
Randy...

Of course, him or anyone else I can con. :D :D :D

bottom_sucker once bubbled...

Of course, him or anyone else I can con. :D :D :D

Think about it guys.......I make the floating line neutral so basically I just guide the line...and you two dopes swim with the 15 # + of bottles and goodies we find.........hmmmmmmm:boom: Guess I let the cat outta the bag eh ??????:boom:

I hate the dive flag. It's evil! but still I tow it where ever I go. I was thinking about bringing some raw lead weight and just placeing it somewhere but I have yet to do that one yet.

I agree with Rick and cheapar that the use of the flags depends on where one is diving.
I am really not keen on towing the flag with me while underwater. But I see the necessity when diving somewhere with high boat traffic.
Locally I bring my dive flag. However when diving aboroad, my experience is that many dive operations either don't have a flag or don't bother with a flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom