Dr. Robert Thompson, SEALAB I aquanaut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEALAB Author Ben H.

Contributor
Reaction score
Robert Thompson, a U.S. Navy doctor and one of the four original SEALAB I aquanauts, died Feb. 11. He was 84. Thompson is pictured here, as in my book - second from the right, back in the summer of 1964 in Bermuda, just before SEALAB I was lowered to the bottom for an inaugural test of a (then) new concept known as saturation diving. I'm grateful to have met and interviewed him extensively a few years ago, at his home near San Diego, so that his pioneering undersea experience could be included in my book. Dr. Thompson's passing leaves just one living participant in this picture - Bob Barth, on the left, who was with the SEALAB program from its earliest days in the 1960s. The other three pictured are, from left: Capt. George F. Bond, aka "Papa Topside" and the father of SEALAB; Lester "Andy" Anderson; and Sanders "Tiger" Manning. They're all missed, but their legacy in the diving world lives on.
8S1Group.jpg

I realize I'm a bit behind on this but it is a sad loss; he truly was a pioneer.

I remember being fasinated by SEALAB when I was a kid and being pissed that there was no coverage on TV! Those are among the unsung heros of diving. Their efforts and contributions should never be forgotten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom