Dr. Bill's latest DVD: Kelpfish, Fringeheads and Pikeblennies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Oops, he's done it again... Thanks to my cold/flu/whatever, I've not been submerged much the past month. That allowed me the time to create the latest (#14) in the "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" series of DVDs.

This 44 min special consists of one 22-min episode on the clinid family (giant kelpfish and kelpfish of the genus Gibbonsia) and a second 22-min episode on the island kelpfish, fringeheads and pikeblennies (formerly assigned to the clinid family but now in the Labrisomidae and Chaenopsidae).

The footage includes PG- to R-rated footage of the mating habits of the giant kelpfish and orangethroat pikeblenny. Fortunately the youngsters will just think it is G-rated. See the first known documentation of menage a trois among the giant kelpfish and the antics of the male pikeblennies in courtship rituals that vaguely resemble that of junior high school boys at their first dance... or their older brothers at the world-famous Chi Chi Club here on Catalina.

For details on this new offering:

Kelpfish, Fringeheads and Pikeblennies of SoCal DVD

To look at all the various DVD offerings in the series:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Products: Educational DVD's

NOTE: Since the fringehead is the most interesting fish I've never seen in SoCal, I'd been priviledged to be able to use still images by Penny Gietler, Kenn Kopp, Kevin Lee and Allison Vitsky as well as video by Bobby Arnold. Thanks folks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom