DPV and other fun stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not seen the design you're speaking about. But T-bar would be safer than being directly attached - assuming the design allowed for an easy abort - such as kicking ones thighs outward to either side.

actually direct attachment DIR style to the crotch strap d-ring is not a safety hazard... and is easily unclipped.

I have no idea how easy it would be to dismount a runaway ride upon scooter or disengage from a towed T-bar.

But to reiterate... scooters are not for the new 2 scuba.

Hi all,

as I treat at the end of my AOW I took the DPV specialty, which I admit was great fun (am I the only one who found themselves humming James bond themes into my reg ?).

I have to agree with all that was said here, at the end of my AOW I would have said I had my bouyancy control just about sorted, the DPV made me get lazy, I found myself using the DPV to correct my buoyancy. This was in the form of pointing the DPV up slightly, when I should have put air in my jacket, this has two effects, making the DPV less efficient and making me lazy about my diving skills.

The end result is that I doubt I'll let myself use a DPV again, until my skills are a lot more engrained or until the dive really demands it (e.g. very long swim out to dive site). I think if I had any advice to offer it would be, during a DPV dive, stop occasionally and adjust your buoyancy without the scooter running, until you get used to it.

As for arm pain, I found that by playing about with the positioning of the DPV, through adjusting the amount of bend in arms I could find a much more comfortable position, but also through improving my streamlining I could reduce the resistance which made my arms a lot more comfortable. I don't have very much upper body strength compared to most of my size and weight.

One other point is that my instructor had a dead DPV at the start of the dive, which if attached may have prevented ditching it to retrieve later, but also after the customary thump, it turned into a run away, whcih could again be uncomfortable for if attached to someone who is still new to diving.

Hope this helps, good luck in your OW

Conor

It's best to rig something on the shroud of the DPV. IMO - having a special mount for a hoseless computer and compass is of great benefit too. Of course less hoses means less drag too, and since one is moving so much faster it really is even easier to overshooting your nav points. With ones gauges and compass mounted right in front of your face (but low profile to reduce drag) you can just keep scootering along - without stopping - except to track your buddy (but just like tracking lights on a night dive, listening for the other DPV's motor is an added buddy tracking tool, though admittedly sound is more difficult to work with but not impossible) :)

Just be aware that if you deal with a run-away by just letting it go, well there goes your $1000 dollar computer as well :bonk:

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
It's best to rig something on the shroud of the DPV. IMO - having a special mount for a hoseless computer and compass is of great benefit too.

UP & others can you comment on this?! I can't imagine connecting mission critical gear to anything but ME! On the SPG or arms. What have other DPV users done to address this issue....

...this is new2scuba and I don't recommend newbies use DPV... but to answer your question:

I use an asymetrical tow bridle made of rope coming back from each handle to a SS bolt snap that clips into my crotch strap D-ring.

My right index finger works the trigger and my left hand is free to do whatever I need it to do.

On my left wrist is my compass. On my right wrist is my Stinger depth gauge/timer. There is a problem with this.

During ascents it is very important to have the depth/timer on the right wrist so the left is free... however it does make it hard to read while scootering because my arm is outstretched.

Two possible solutions:
1. a small wedge shape under the Stinger to hold in at an angle facing back toward me somewhat.

2. a second depth/timer on the left wrist for use while scootering. I am thinking that a Suunto D3 would be perfect for this as I want to carry a backup depth/timer anyway. I do have a Casio Aqualand I could use but the depth gauge window is just too small.

I agree with UP. I have the same basic setup with compass on left and uwatec BT on right with it up near my elbow so I can see it better and not have to stop to do so. The window on the uwatec is pretty big and easy to see with it rotated slightly inward. This way I can scooter with light in the left hand to see the BT/depth guage on the right and then switch the light to right while keeping my finger on the trigger and be able to use my compass, control buoyancy, etc... with my left hand.

SLJ

tinman once bubbled...

UP & others can you comment on this?! I can't imagine connecting mission critical gear to anything but ME! On the SPG or arms. What have other DPV users done to address this issue....

I've considered rigging up a compass mount for my Gavin but haven't done anything yet. not sure it would work because a) the scooter is out at the end of my arm and b) I'm thinking the electrical field generated by the motor would likely play hell on the compass functionality...

As for gauges/timers, one on each wrist. While scootering use the one on left since right hand is out in front guiding the scooter. At deco use either one you're most comfortable with.

Scooter should be rigged as Pug described it, line clipped to crotch strap.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom