DPV and other fun stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop wash can be a problem. The idea is to bend your elbows and hug the thing just a few inches away from your chest. The handle angle wasn't very good in my opinion but I'd never used a DPV before and had nothing to compare it to

I guess that is why the tow-behind style (Gavin, SS) are popular. You don't have prop wash and can see the prop.

Eric

dotyj once bubbled...
I would also like to see some sort of mesh to protect gear and fingers and such from the prop. I tagged my inflator hose once. No harm done but it made a hell of a noise.
Having the handles further forward allows more stuff to get into the prop.

A better way... and this would really help you with your lack of arm strength James... is a bridle attached to the handles that comes back to a ring on your crotch strap... and if you were going to be doing this often I would suggest adding a crotch strap to your BC.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Having the handles further forward allows more stuff to get into the prop.

A better way... and this would really help you with your lack of arm strength James... is a bridle attached to the handles that comes back to a ring on your crotch strap... and if you were going to be doing this often I would suggest adding a crotch strap to your BC.

No question with most designs you do need strong arms to use a DPV - except for the AquaSub-type design where you can straight arm it in front of you and be dragged - then it's mostly wrist and hand strength. Otherwise, most designs require you to strong-arm the unit under your chest - where you are fighting the drag of your body vs. the forward thrust of the unit.

There are a lot of arguments that it is dangerous to be directly connected to the unit as Uncle Pug has suggested. In fact a few manufacterers who at one time sold connecting devices for their scooters later discontinued them. Even if the connector has a quick release the risk is increased in the event of a run-away. A critical piece of knowledge in DPV training focuses on dealing with a stuck actuator or an otherwise run-away scooter/DPV. There are a number of ways to deal with this. You can let it go, hold it against the bottom or other safe surface, foul the prop (with a gear bag or glove), or you can ride it out. The latter is waiting on the fuel source such as a battery to run down and can present other dangers including reaching limits such as running low or out of air. The units that you ride like the K10 Hydroscooter could still easily be ditched.

Yes, you could use a connector, I wouldn't recommend it. Instead build your upper body and arm strength to be in better control.

Hi Diverbuoy:

Good advise. I used the DPV with a lanyard to keep it with me, but it should be easy to remove. Fouling the prop wouldn't be a problem. It's easy to get to.

I hate my body. I'm not able to build any muscle strength in my extremeties. I do build up endourance and lung capacity though so I'm not a lost cause.

I'll just have to keep at practicing with the DPV and build up my abilities with technique. That's what usually works for me.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

No question with most designs you do need strong arms to use a DPV - except for the AquaSub-type design where you can straight arm it in front of you and be dragged - then it's mostly wrist and hand strength. Yes, you could use a connector, I wouldn't recommend it. Instead build your upper body and arm strength to be in better control.

I'll discuss this with my instructor.

Though from what I just read, it might be a bad idea to attach myself to the DPV. Yikes!

I'll work more on my technique as well.

Leverage usually works well for me, helps make up for lack of muscle tone. I'll try bending my arms a little more than 90 degrees at the elbows. That will help though it puts my face pretty close to the DPV. At least I can easily see the battery indicator. :)

The main goal last weekend was to maintain depth. It isn't easy to practice but worth the effort.

I swim pretty well, but not very fast. I think I would make my dive buddy nuts. Most people swim much faster than I do.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I have heard of a diver with a DPV that imploded on a deep dive and it became an anchor that had to be cut away from his BC crotch strap because the BC crotch clip had the pressure of the descending DPV bridle on it which prevent a quick release. More of a problem if you are in mid-descent dealing with ear clearing, etc.. I suppose, runaway conditions could be a nasty problem as well. Certainly sounds like a bonus to be positively connected to reduce arm fatigue provided your snips/knife are close at hand...

It would be interesting to hear from frequent DPV users what problems they have encountered and training procedures they have adopted so that us Lottery Winners in Waiting can be ready when the day and opportunity arises...

tinman once bubbled...
It would be interesting to hear from frequent DPV users
a DPV can introduce a whole new set of skills and potential problems.... as well as provide an excellent solution to some problems.

I wouldn't recommned a DPV for the average OW student... James situation might be different due to his disability... but I actually think it would be better for him to wait as well.

The safe use of DPVs is a great topic for another thread... why don't you start one tinman.

James... best bet for you is to learn buoyancy control and alternate fin kicks before trying out scooters. Learn to dive first.

I couldn't agree more: it seems like DPV introduction at the OW is just asking for a task loading nightmare. That said, I suspect that the majority of divers that would get a chance to use DPVs are either hardcore tecks in their caves or deep dark places or Southern vacationers with a new toy underwater. Certainly worthy of another thread.

Hi UP:

That's what I like about this place. Plenty of experienced divers who know what they're talking about.

I have my concerns as well about task loading. Hell, the first time I got in the pool kitted up all I wanted to do was breathe and float.

In my case one session with the DPV isn't enough training. I will require additional sessions (I didn't get to do a session this weekend. :( ).

I won't use the DPV during my OW dives if I'm not comfortable with the idea. If it becomes a burdon I will let the instructor deal with the DPV or leave it on the boat.

I'm doing all of this to have fun, not to needlessly endanger my life.

Wow, an emploding DPV. That's got to be quite a site. Kinda scary too.

tinman once bubbled...
I have heard of a diver with a DPV that imploded on a deep dive and it became an anchor ...

This would be a very serious problem. Consider that on the surface most DPV's weigh in excess of 40 Lbs. The one I trained on weighed ~50. Whereas underwater the shroud displaced enough water to make the whole unit 1-2 lb negative!

Imagine being a diver attached to your DPV at 100 feet on a wall dive over the 2000 foot abyss in the Caymans. You're just propelling along peacfully then suddenly you hear a noise and see a bunch of bubbles and suddenly, violently you are yanked downward. You'd be negatively weighted an additional 50 lbs ... as tinman put it ... it would be like being chained to a medium-sized boat anchor. The DPV would sit right between your legs so you'd have trouble using your fins to slow your descent. My mind wanders digressively to an image of a victim in cement boots going over a bridge on the east river to take their last swim.

If you're going to be attached - make sure it is a really quick release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom