DPV and other fun stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The caves are too long and my legs are too short I want a scooter.

That is so funny. I was thinking the same thing the last two times I practiced with DPVs, but didn't notice if I started humming or not.

Conor once bubbled...
Hi all,

as I treat at the end of my AOW I took the DPV specialty, which I admit was great fun (am I the only one who found themselves humming James bond themes into my reg ?).

I think my instructor's idea is for me to use the DPV to move from one location to another, get there, ditch the DPV, swim around, go back to the DPV, then move on.

After two sessions with the DVP I can see what UP is getting at with newbies diving with one. It's easy to become distracted and I can see where a new diver can be lured into bad habits when it comes to bouyancy control.

I have a lot to learn, but I'm lucky that I'm being afforded the time to do so.

I've mentioned before that my lessons have been really expensive, but I truely believe that I'm the one getting the better end of the deal here.

tinman once bubbled...
UP & others can you comment on this?! I can't imagine connecting mission critical gear to anything but ME! On the SPG or arms. What have other DPV users done to address this issue....

Or dive like me with 2 computers. And as for mission critical - many DPV owners do it this way. Of course if you have a hose based computer it won't work - but if that's all you own, you can mount a compass on the shroud.
Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Two possible solutions:
1. a small wedge shape under the Stinger to hold in at an angle facing back toward me somewhat.

2. a second depth/timer on the left wrist for use while scootering. I am thinking that a Suunto D3 would be perfect for this as I want to carry a backup depth/timer anyway. I do have a Casio Aqualand I could use but the depth gauge window is just too small.
Same idea a second computer.

SLJ once bubbled...
I agree with UP. I have the same basic setup with compass on left and uwatec BT on right with it up near my elbow so I can see it better and not have to stop to do so. The window on the uwatec is pretty big and easy to see with it rotated slightly inward. This way I can scooter with light in the left hand to see the BT/depth guage on the right and then switch the light to right while keeping my finger on the trigger and be able to use my compass, control buoyancy, etc... with my left hand.
You would not be able to accurately read your compass in this position on most DPVs. You would have to remove your hand from the trigger, to keep the compass level, and unless you are linked to the DPV as UP suggests, you'll need to stop, stay buoyant, take a reading, then continue to make this work. But you would benefit from the shroud mounting.
SLJ once bubbled...
Yes, the field from the motor totally screws a compass up.
SLJ
No it doesn't. Have you tried it?

As for all the thoughts on newbies. ABSOLUTELY true Uncle, not for the NEW 2 SCUBA. No way.

"No it doesn't. Have you tried it?"

Yes, I have tried it. Take your compass out to your scooter and put it near the motor. It will not read the same. When we survey we NEVER take readings with the compass near the scooter motor.

SLJ

SLJ once bubbled...
"No it doesn't. Have you tried it?"

Yes, I have tried it. Take your compass out to your scooter and put it near the motor. It will not read the same. When we survey we NEVER take readings with the compass near the scooter motor.

SLJ

Are you placing it on the axle or the prop? Near the front of the shroud (battery/fuel source) casing there is no effect. The mount is just toward the front of the shroud's battery compartment seam. The mount is raised about 1/2 inch, but no matter, even right next to the body there is still no effect. However, as I move down toward the bottom of the scooter the needle does move near the axle and prop. But the movement is still far less than the effect one gets around a large body of metal - such as a car or a wreck.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

Or dive like me with 2 computers. And as for mission critical - many DPV owners do it this way. Of course if you have a hose based computer it won't work - but if that's all you own, you can mount a compass on the shroud.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the tip.

Do you have the DPV computer/compass configured for quick release so it is with you in instances where the DPV is being ditched due to malfunction or placed for later recovery during a wreck reconnoiter?

tinman once bubbled...
Do you have the DPV computer/compass configured for quick release so it is with you in instances where the DPV is being ditched due to malfunction or placed for later recovery during a wreck reconnoiter?

No if all other efforts to dump the nose, foul the prop, run out the fuel source fail, I would lose the computer when I let the DPV go. It is a good idea though...I'll do some thinking about how to mount it with some sort of quick release. For now it is pretty much screwed down tight to prevent moving and to keep it in perfect alignment with the orientation of the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom