DPV and Dive Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i noticed a while back when using my DPV on a shore dive that pulling a dive flag can be somewhat of an odd thing. i was zooming along ~ 20 ft deep thinking that the flag was flowing me on the surface ~ 30 feet behind me. it wasn't until i felt the flag line tug on me that i realized that wasn't the case. i turned around and saw that the line was almost perpendicular to the sea floor. i followed the ling a few feet back and found the dive flag was on the bottom snagged on to a few large rocks i passed. so it would seem the flag was being pulled under every time i was underway with the scooter....... so like half the dive. which means that no boats can see where i am will im moving.

i was wondering if anyone's ever had this happen before and how to potentially remedy it without having to tie the flag down to a stationary point.

I had that issue with my old Styrofoam float flag. I had 2 solutions:

1. Switch to the inner tube style flags. Which are nice, you can throw all sorts of extra stuff in the tube.

2. Clip an Smb to the line and inflate it. The extra lift should keep it up. I think standard 6ft smb is like 45lbs of lift.

Obviously you could slow down as well. Or stay deep enough it shouldn't matter until you are going to surface. But I think the smb idea would probably work well. I would most certainly use a closed bottom smb.

Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation! The hard float will definitely tow well and will stay on the surface. You probably want to have a good bit of line out between the scooter and the float, maybe double the depth, but this can vary with current speed and also what type of bottom you are diving.

If you are diving around tall wrecks for example, then you will need to shorten the string to reduce snags in the super structure. If you are diving over low profile reef, then this is much less of a problem.

Some divers like to use a reel (even when towing on a scooter), because they can adjust the line to handle tall structures (reel some line in) or if the current is strong, let line out - which will make the towing easier.

An inner tube type of float is only practical if you are not swimming any distance, there is negligible current and you are not going to have enter through the surf zone. If you are presented with any of those challenges, then a life guard type float is going to be far superior - that's why ocean life guards have used them for years.

MHHF2-2T.jpg

We also have a scuba divers discount package that includes a float with flag and counter weight and a reel and a reef hook.

SCUBA Divers Surface Float Package | Mako Spearguns

Thanks!

dano

Thanks for the recommendation! The hard float will definitely tow well and will stay on the surface. You probably want to have a good bit of line out between the scooter and the float, maybe double the depth, but this can vary with current speed and also what type of bottom you are diving.

If you are diving around tall wrecks for example, then you will need to shorten the string to reduce snags in the super structure. If you are diving over low profile reef, then this is much less of a problem.

Some divers like to use a reel (even when towing on a scooter), because they can adjust the line to handle tall structures (reel some line in) or if the current is strong, let line out - which will make the towing easier.

An inner tube type of float is only practical if you are not swimming any distance, there is negligible current and you are not going to have enter through the surf zone. If you are presented with any of those challenges, then a life guard type float is going to be far superior - that's why ocean life guards have used them for years.

View attachment 450080

We also have a scuba divers discount package that includes a float with flag and counter weight and a reel and a reef hook.

SCUBA Divers Surface Float Package | Mako Spearguns

Thanks!

dano

How easy/difficult to tip the float with the flag over where the flag will be underwater (float overall is still above surface)?

Also, can you use a longer flag pole to make the flag higher on the float?

The float requires a 2-lb keel weight in order to stay upright with the flag. It is quite stable and it is unusual for it to capsize and remain in that position.

If we used a longer flag pole, the stability of the float would be compromised. Possibly, you could experiment, but it would probably require additional ballast to provide an equivalent degree of stability.

How easy/difficult to tip the float with the flag over where the flag will be underwater (float overall is still above surface)?

Also, can you use a longer flag pole to make the flag higher on the float?

just requires a bigger weight on the bottom to keep it from tipping over

Sounds like a torpedo-style float would be best for dpv diving. Mako's seems quite nice. I would shy away from the inner tube style unless you have flat water.

while those mako floats are cool - the flag doesn't meet state law in MA in terms of size or projection from the water...

while those mako floats are cool - the flag doesn't meet state law in MA in terms of size or projection from the water...

The flag is 15x13 so it's sized fine for MA, but they have a really tall projection requirement. Isn't it 3'? It's been a hot minute since I've dove up there and it's always been with family on a boat, but I think it has to be at least 3ft off the water which is nuts.

you could probably use it with a heavier weight and a longer stick, but would probably need like 8lbs instead of 2 to keep it upright

Back
Top Bottom