Downwellings north dive sites!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree.... but it is important that all these newbies understand that it can and does happen.[/QUOTE

Now, now.... let's not single out the newbies..... :hurt: This thread seems to be benefiting everyone ( and yes, it's great for the newbies too). :D

Did I oops? I kind of thought robint meant new to the Cozumel "experience" with the term "newbies", not new to diving.:confused:

If I thought the term was referring to new divers I'd have pulled-out all the new diver jokes. . . Oh, well, I guess the opportunity has passed and I'll have to save the new diver cracks for another thread. :mooner:

Did I oops? I kind of thought robint meant new to the Cozumel "experience" with the term "newbies", not new to diving.:confused:

If I thought the term was referring to new divers I'd have pulled-out all the new diver jokes. . . Oh, well, I guess the opportunity has passed and I'll have to save the new diver cracks for another thread.

There's so much fertile territory for those that it requires a separate thread.

:ppd: (the Newb)

Ok, back to the downwellings......

i am a coz regular. have hit downcurrents twice long ago. both times it happened at santa rosa wall while moving parallel to the wall. they were extremely mild. actually one i was not even sure of until we got back on the boat and others were talking about it.
i now dive with aldora and they do santa rosa along the top of the reef as a second dive. fun drift there but nothing to fear.

Since this thread kinda "drifted" all over the place, I will write about what happened in a new thread. Just got back on Tuesday and was a little swamped with work. I was indeed on the dive that FirstDive mentioned. I told GreyLion and his wife a little about it at the airport. I will write about it, but I wanted to go into a lot more detail and hadn't had the time yet. This just wasn't ANY downcurrent. This was extremely strong, fast and it came out of nowhere. Believe me I know. I am writing the details now. All I can say is Thank God every one on that dive did everything right. I have been on some hairy dives in my time, but this one humbled me to the core. The longest 17 minute dive I've ever experienced! We all came back and there was a lot of hugging going on, on that dock when we returned. I stayed out of the water for two days just to reflect and get my wits about me. First time in over 700 dives that something like this has happened. I am STILL thinking it through. Lessons for Life? Absolutely.

Since this thread kinda "drifted" all over the place, I will write about what happened in a new thread. Just got back on Tuesday and was a little swamped with work. I was indeed on the dive that FirstDive mentioned. I told GreyLion and his wife a little about it at the airport. I will write about it, but I wanted to go into a lot more detail and hadn't had the time yet. This just wasn't ANY downcurrent. This was extremely strong, fast and it came out of nowhere. Believe me I know. I am writing the details now. All I can say is Thank God every one on that dive did everything right. I have been on some hairy dives in my time, but this one humbled me to the core. The longest 17 minute dive I've ever experienced! We all came back and there was a lot of hugging going on, on that dock when we returned. I stayed out of the water for two days just to reflect and get my wits about me. First time in over 700 dives that something like this has happened. I am STILL thinking it through. Lessons for Life? Absolutely.

Hi Jen! So you wait for me to leave then you go you go on the cool dive.
I can't wait to read your version, from your angle if you will. Dive experience reports are the same as car accident reports, from 5ft away there will be two different versions. Very close but something added or missed. But they are equally true.:coffee:

You definitely have my attention. I actually had to have my wife verify that you were our Jen- good friend and Cozumel neighbor-Jen. You're one hell of a diver and I've never known you to show fear, so this must have truly been the dive from hell. :(

Back
Top Bottom