Downtown Aquarium Dive-Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm diving in the Denver Downtown Aquarium tank dives this weekend for the first time! I'm doing the regular fish tank first and then the shark tank (my first real shark encounter) so I'll let you all know if I make it out alive and how much fun I'm sure it's going to be! It's the closest thing to a dive vacation that I can take right now so I'm looking forward to the adrenaline rush! :confined:

I am interested in diving the aqaurium, are they still doing the application where you have at least 25 logged?

Dan

UnderwaterBumbleBee:
I'm diving in the Denver Downtown Aquarium tank dives this weekend for the first time! I'm doing the regular fish tank first and then the shark tank (my first real shark encounter) so I'll let you all know if I make it out alive and how much fun I'm sure it's going to be! It's the closest thing to a dive vacation that I can take right now so I'm looking forward to the adrenaline rush! :confined:

Please do post here what you think of it. I have thought about it, it is not cheap but it does cost a lot less then a plane ticket out of here.

Well I did both dives and no limbs lost. :fish: I think my favorite dive was actually the fish tank because you could swim more and check out things on your own. There were 6 people and they split us into two groups, 4 people in the tank at a time which included an A-1 DM (nice that it wasn't too many). They have 9 huge Green Morays, a huge turtle, nurse sharks, stingrays, variety of very inquisitive fish (probably the closest to my face I've ever seen) and the biggest 250 pound grouper I'll probably ever see. We were told he rules the tank and he definitly did, you move for him. I kept swimming quite a bit but it was fun to wave to little kids through the glass(they really got excited to be singled out) and I had family watching and taking photos on the other side.

Then I did the shark dive. :jaws: They have around 20 sharks, all different sizes and varieties, some with serious teeth. On this dive it was me and two other people plus the DM. They brief you in front of the exhibit so you get a feel for where you'll be going. The entrance into the tank did not induce any worries, it was actually very easy. You descend between the glass and fake coral in part of the exhibit away from the sharks. Then you go through a swim through where you come out on the bottom and immediatly take your place with your back to the wall. The best way I can describe it is kind of like a swim up bar where you kneel and rest your arms/hands on the top of a short wall. The sharks are swimming in front of you, right by you and above you. I really didn't feel the adrenaline rush I thought I would but it was still enjoyable to be that close. The drawback is it's not as exciting because you can't swim and you are pretty far from the glass so there's little interaction with the people on the other side.

We swam along this wall/shelf closer to the glass for a different view. There are 3 huge turtles and one of them was suddenly right in my face. Of course my camera failed to take the photo, it was underexposed and unprintable! He then went behind me and was hanging out on my legs. There was one point when a smaller shark with no visible teeth circled 4 times swimming closer each time checking me out. He was probably 2-3 feet away from my face. Then we headed back to the coral area where the fish hang out in the exhibit, there was a decent sized Puffer that was really interested in checking me out too.

It was cool how close and comfortable all the creatures seemed to be with divers, you aren't allowed to touch them obviously for their and your safety. It was fun to see the behind the scenes care and all. The staff from A-1 and the Aquarium were great as usual. I should have taken my own digital underwater camera instead of paying twice for disposable cameras. The shots would have had much better color, zoom and more space with my own camera for less money. They DO let you take photos with a regular flash in BOTH tanks, just no external strobes. Also, not aware of any dive experience requirements. As far as I know, you just have to be certified. They do make you flood and clear your mask and breathe off your alternate while recovering your regulator to make sure you can do those skills. They are very careful about contamination (especially between dives), you wear a full 3-5mil suit provided by A-1/Aquarium in addition to gloves and hoods.

I'll try to get my digital and non-digital shots up soon. It was expensive but a fun experience and will have to stand in as a mini vacation for now. You get free parking, free appetizer (still not real impressed with restaurant though), two admissions to exhibits, shirts and more. It might make you want to volunteer to clean the tanks....:diver:

Thanks for the dive report. Sounds like fun. :wink:

nice report. I don't think I would ever pay $175 for a dive, but I enjoyed the experience through your story. Diving with the sharks in the ocean is awesome. Some of the bigger sharks get my adreneline going, but seeing them is awesome. I did see a tiger, but after I got on the boat. He was trying to get a homemade bouy someone left out, about 15-20 ft. from where I was just at. I am glad I didn't see him while underwater though. Lots of white tips- not aggresive and swim away from you. Glad you had a good time.

I'll be dropping by from Kentucky for a visit with family. Should be diving the aquarium on Sunday the 13th, birthday present, anyone else from SB going to be around?

That sounds like a lot of fun. I've toyed with volunteering there, but living in the Springs it's kind of hard to make the commitment to drive up there consistently. Wouldn't be a problem during summer/winter breaks, but I really don't have the time come school season. I'm with you, UnderwaterBumbleBee- my girlfriend and I visited there recently (it's nice to walk through, by the way- much nicer than I thought when I heard Landry's acquired it). We dined at the restaurant that evening, and though the food wasn't bad, it didn't really stand out. Certainly not worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom