Downsides of being cheap, sharing examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been amazed at how cheap divers are in general. It's not a cheap sport, so I get the feeling like one has already paid a lot, but fer crying out loud!

Cheap alternate 2nd stages (octos). That should be at least as good or better than your primary 2nd. The upgrade to a solid 2nd stage is small.

Buying online to save a couple bucks. Especially for gear where fit is an issue. I'd much rather try on 5 wetsuits and get one that fits than save $100 online.

Cheap excursions. Why do you think there are almost no dive boats left in Monterey? People pay $200 for a two-tank dive in Hawai'i, should Monterey be any cheaper?
Monterey dive boat prices have nothing to do with why so many went out of business. There are less divers doing local diving. This trend has been going on for years. The various recessions didn’t help. We never fully recover from them, and each time it happens the industry never fully recovers and ends up a notch down. Newer divers are not into cold water, the Monterey dive scene was/is almost and old school thing now.

But what's cheap?

This is like Carlin's bit about other drivers, "anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

Anybody spending less than me is a cheap ass, anyone spending more is a dumb ass.

But what's cheap?

This is like Carlin's bit about other drivers, "anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

Anybody spending less than me is a cheap ass, anyone spending more is a dumb ass.
very true. someone who makes 6 figures will have a very different definition of cheap and expensive vs someone making 40 grand.

The problem with those divers who get crap instruction is they don't come back. When you're overweighted and you struggle in the water, it isn't fun. I'd venture that most of those divers don't come back.

I don't have a large sample, but my shop's retention/return rate is better than 50 percent... probably much better than that. One factor I can point to is my students feel comfortable in the water.

I can see that. I paid $500 for so so instruction. I am and always have been extremely comfortable in the water, so being under came fairly easy. I didn't need someone to hold my hand, I needed the piece of plastic so I could go figure it out. I know a lot of people that way.

I have also seen people freak out.. my wife, other people in my OW class. I can see how it's imperative that they get better 1 on 1 instruction. I do not have to be comfortable to be comfortable underwater (if that makes sense). My wife has to have all the pieces be perfect to feel comfortable under.. just 2 different types of people.

So maybe it boils down to how comfortable you are in the water... Idk. I'm not an instructor. I think that you're 50% return of customers speaks volumes about your shop... I highly doubt the shops around here see 15%...

I wonder how many people had to get rid of the “cheap urge” before they started tech diving. I’m of the “buy once, cry once” mentality. It’s not just the equipment. My recent full cave class in MX was $250/day (just me). I’ve come across people who had massive issues with the cost of tech training. Probably were “spoiled” by cheap recreational training.

buying a used liquivision because it had great stats on paper (trimix! ccr! oled!) and was only 150 bucks. screen is practically unreadable now due to fading and has battery issues half the time.
I remember when liquidvision was a tight competitor to Shearwater. Went to a dive shop to look at them in person. The liquidvision had been left on, battery ran low and was not accepting a charge. It was the owners personal and the shop demo. Went to the other shop and they had a perfectly functional Shearwater on the shelf. Owner bought 2, one for themself and one to sell. I still have that one.

1661974092061.png

I wonder how many people had to get rid of the “cheap urge” before they started tech diving. I’m of the “buy once, cry once” mentality. It’s not just the equipment. My recent full cave class in MX was $250/day (just me). I’ve come across people who had massive issues with the cost of tech training. Probably were “spoiled” by cheap recreational training.

Someone's time given for tech training is not the same thing as finding a good deal on a set of doubles in someone's basement. I'll hunt and barter all day long, but not with someone's time.... entirely different. Even the local shop that I got inexpensive certs for the kids was running a special... I never asked for cheaper.

And "buy once, cry once" should be "shop thrifty, cry as least as possible" ... but still sometimes cry, lol. Just because someone tech dives doesn't all of a sudden mean they have to buy brand new or top of the line or the most expensive. Diving is expensive, but you can do your best to negate that some.

But what's cheap?

That is hilarious! Gosh I miss him.

I am a firm believer in dive and let dive.

Someone's time given for tech training is not the same thing as finding a good deal on a set of doubles in someone's basement. I'll hunt and barter all day long, but not with someone's time.... entirely different. Even the local shop that I got inexpensive certs for the kids was running a special... I never asked for cheaper.

And "buy once, cry once" should be "shop thrifty, cry as least as possible" ... but still sometimes cry, lol. Just because someone tech dives doesn't all of a sudden mean they have to buy brand new or top of the line or the most expensive. Diving is expensive, but you can do your best to negate that some.

Buy once, cry once applies to used as well. I’ve seen people buy cheap new crap and have to replace it when it broke soon or didn’t fit their needs, when used better quality would have been a much better decision.

And on the tech class cost - the people I’ve seen stop cold because of cost could afford it, they just couldn’t get past paying that much for training. Guess they didn’t get the message that training for **** that could kill you costs a hell of a lot more for very good reason. My initial CCR class is $1600.

Back
Top Bottom