Down deep...things to remember

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh:
Seems like self dicipline is the problem here.

Self discipline is the issue here. Not having a "safety net" and knowing that will likely make the divers who's self discipline is questionable be more aware of their gas and should make them more conservative. An OOA because someone wasn't paying attention to their psi is bad form. Not having enough gas in their buddies tank to safely make it to the surface with all stops is unacceptable.

QuoVadis:
Cool! By the way...it has been a real pleasure getting involved in this little discussion. I will be thinking of you all while I am in Key West starting tomorrow (Fri.) for 10 days. (just had to rub it in) These Navy dets. sure are tough on us contractors!!!! I will have to ask some of the dive shops their opinion on this subject.

Some people get to have all the fun! :wink: Enjoy your dives and let us know how it went.

OK... here is a serious concern I have: with both you an Chaseh throwing in the towel... well he threw in the towel and you are getting out of Dodge... the only one left to keep this thread churning is Dan... and he is... well... not here.

boomx5:
BigboyDan:
Now, I'll talk about how great the diving is off the Texas coast... bet I get a lot of laughs.
Seriously...is it any good?
I read the book "Hell Diver's Rodeo" by Humberto Fontava. It's an incredible story of rig diving off the Texas coast.

EDIT: Oops... that was off the Louisiana coast... Sorry.

A few around here hang regs on long hoses. It's their boat they can hang what they want. I have been on charters where divers came back to the line without enough gas to do safety stops and I suppose some charters just expect this.

A freind of mine hangs regs on 20 ft hoses connected to a T of O2 on the boat. The regs are hanging off a weighted line. Once we did a dive such that we carried our 50% and planned to switch to the hanging O2 regs to shorten decompression if we were lucky enough to be at the line. Of course we had enough 50% that not getting back to the line just meant a little loinger in the water. Well, we did get back to the line but the seas had gotten rough and using the hanging regs meant dodging the giant bouncing line weights the whole time. It's better to wear the tank. LOL

I haven't thrown in the towel, everything's just been said, and I went to sleep. Like most msg board discussions. Everyone's opinion is right, and everyone elses is wrong. They appear as absolutes.

In twenty years, I've seen maybe 10-15% of boats hang extra air in some manner. I've never seen it used.

I'll be going on a private charter in the BVI in a few weeks, so I doubt well hang anything. Murphy's law will probably strike us and require it in some way that we haven't thought of in this thread. The divers will be 2 DMs, 2 very experienced divers (including myself), and 2 novices. Since most sites in the BVI are relatively shallow <60ft, I'm considering just getting a really long snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom