Dove "Top of the Island" today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WallDiver77

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Maybe someone would like to come up with a better name for this site?

I anchored my boat in about 18 feet of water on top of the now submerged island. Dive time was about 29 minutes with a Max depth of 53 feet. Surface temperature I'm guessing was around 60 degrees + or -. Because the temperature readout on my computer lags a few minutes behind, it is difficult to report an exact bottom temp. The lowest temperature my computer read was 47f. I suspect that at my max depth is was very near 40 degrees..... but that's a guess.

I was sporting a 7 mil John & Jacket with hood. I didn't wear any gloves.... which is why I didn't push any deeper; my hands were pretty cold!

AS expected the thermocline was present and visible. It wasn't as "milky" as I've seen it, but it still had that quality. I ran into this at about 29 to 30 feet and was clear of the "milk" by 37 feet. Vis did improve below this TC. I see that I have neglected to report the Vis; I would estimate the Vis, above the thermocline, to be about 14 feet. Which IMO is GREAT for this time of year! Below the TC the Vis probably increased to around 20 feet.

Hey, I was happily surprised to find conditions so favorable!

Didn't see much of course. I played with some bass, baiting them in with a recently deceased crawfish I found. Man, they sure tore it up when I released it !!!!! Cheap entertainment... what can I say?!

Hi WallDiver,

What lake were you in? 20' vis is pretty good for a lake, I agree. That was some chilly water at the bottom, though. Almost makes me cold just thinking about it. Glad you had fun!

CON8IV:
Hi WallDiver,

What lake were you in? 20' vis is pretty good for a lake, I agree. That was some chilly water at the bottom, though. Almost makes me cold just thinking about it. Glad you had fun!

CON8IV,

It was Navajo. Yes, it's very hard to find anything wrong with 20' vis in a Lake of this area!

I'd give it a Shrinkage Factor of 8 :D
I might (I don't like the things) wear gloves next time, but other than that, I was toasty in my Farmer John & Jacket. When you think about it, diving Navajo at this time of year beyond the TC, .... it's very much like diving in water drained from an icy cooler (the San Juan mountains).

Back
Top Bottom