Doulbles on a cruiser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vbcoachchris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am an avid tech divers, my wife is not. We are thinking about buying a 26 ft cruiser. It has a large cockpit. I will have most of the exposed fiberglass sprayed with white line-x for scratch resistance, but I need something that will allow me to put 4 sets of double 130’s on the padded seat area, this must be able to be removed when not diving. I also need a removable false floor to store deco bottles under. I was thinking of 2 inch marine grade plastic hinged together, so that it would fold flat or unfold to 90 degrees. When in the 90 degree position it would look like a seat bench. Just place it on top of the padded seat and secure it to the side of the boat, by some temporary, but secure means. I was thinking kind of the same think for the false floor. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any other ideas? Do you think this might work?

have you physically checkd that you have enough room for all that gear?

i assume yes, but just checking

Yes, there is plenty of space even if I put iit all on the floor, but getting ready to dive will be very tough and very hard to move from place to place on the boat. If I can place the doubles on the seats it would be ideal

My current boat is an 18' cuddy cabin and I lay the doubles on the floor for transport, then in the seats to don/doff. My seats are in good shape considering, but I will figure out another system for my next boat (25' cruiser). Something to lay over the sides for loading (unless you have swim platform). Also something easily replaceable to use while donning/doffing the gear. I like the idea of a secure wooden structure to lay across the gunwales where you're not worried about scratches or dings. It would be ideal if that wood could serve another purpose on the boat for better storage....you will need to figure out a system for your particular boat.

What brand are you looking at? There are owners clubs for most boats out there with people who have already found solutions.

--Matt

Maxum 25 SE and it has a swim step

Try this: http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum/index.php

I found the owners clubs to be the absolute best resource for all things boating. In fact, get information from them before you buy. If you have any problem or have any questions, someone has already asked it before and found solutions. Also great place to get an estimate for work, storage, best dealership experiences, etc.

I've owned my Bayliner for 8 seasons. The Bayliner Owners Club is a great resource. I'm researching my next boat hopefully to pull the trigger in 10 months. At the moment I'm leaning toward C-Dory and specifically the 25' cruiser model with twin outboard engines as my next boat. I'm researching the Bayliner Discovery 246 and other brands as well. The research is part of the fun! Boat....$$$....amenity priorities....tow vehicle...etc.

--Matt

Instead of the "cruiser" why not look into a boat designed for fishing and diving. There are many well made cuddy cabin and cabin class boats made for use in the ocean. The typical vinyl covered and carpet slatthered "cruiser" is not. Yeah, it is true, most of those crusier boats are lake boats, not intended for use in the ocean and not especially seaworthy. The ocean is hard on boats, get one meant to live in salt water.

I only tell you this because boats are expensive and it is best to get a boat that is actually designed to do what you want to do or at least compatible with your needs, cruisers make generally poor dive boats, sailboats are worse. Think carefully, proceed with caution, your in danger of becoming a dissatisfied boat owner.

N

Nemrod raises some important points. The first step in research is writing your list of boating priorities. One single boat will never cover all your desires. For example, the typical bathtub modeled center console is the worst boat choice if you want real protection from elements and a comfortable ride in heat or cold. They are the best for transporting cargo and are very seaworthy though.

Will you have a wife/gfriend/kids etc. on this boat? Will you or they want a bathroom other than over the side? A cruiser may better suit your needs. You will be able to carry less dive gear with some of the space engineered/prioritized for other things. Avoid those with carpet at the stern where you will enter with wet dive gear. Ocean boats need scuppers or other means of self bailing.

--Matt

Also, it is not clear if you mean a new or used boat but in either case I would be wary of spraying the boat with heavy,diffucult to clean Line X. The stuff will peel despite what they say and it other places it will require a nucleor bomb to remove. Spraying Line X on glass does not make the glass crush proof, it just makes the crushed glass impossible to repair.

Warning, warning Will Robinson, DANGER ahead!

Also, the family should be involved but do not allow your wife to dictate the "pretty" boat or no boat. No boat may be better in that case.

Matt is correct and note that I did not mention my favorite type of boat design, the center console. I clearly stated cuddy or cabin class--just not cruiser.

Center consoles are the bomb for offshore, simple, clean, seaworthy, efficinet and larger ones do have "bathrooms" if needed.

Boats are a compromise.

N

Don't get too hung up on a pretty boat if you're going to inflict multiple twinned 130's on her. Skip the Line-X and leave that on your truck, although for some impact areas, you might want to consider Dura-Bak. It might have a little bit more give than Line-X and you can apply it yourself. It's used more on larger vessels, but you're going to need all the impact protection you can get on a little boat and big tanks.
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom