Doubles (Twin-Set) Removal & Replacement in Mid-Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞

While not required for Tech Training and certification, I encourage and guide my Tech Students to learn and try this skill for a number of reasons listed below. Why learn this skill?

1. Mastering Equipment Handling: For technical divers, being able to expertly handle your gear is crucial. The twin-set rig (doubles) is an integral part of your equipment, and learning to remove and replace it in mid-water demonstrates a high level of proficiency. This skill ensures that you can inspect your equipment for leaks or entanglements during a dive, maintaining optimal performance and safety.

2. Enhancing Buoyancy and Trim Control: One of the hallmarks of a skilled technical diver is the ability to maintain good buoyancy and horizontal trim, even when performing complex tasks. Practicing twin-set removal and replacement requires you to fine-tune these abilities. By mastering this skill, you will be able to stay stable and controlled in the water, even when your BCD and tanks are not on your back. This practice directly translates to improved overall diving technique and confidence.

3. Preparing for Emergencies: While rare, emergencies can and do happen during technical dives. Situations such as needing to clear a narrow passage or disentangle yourself from ghost nets may require you to remove your rig. Being proficient in this skill ensures that you are prepared to handle these emergencies calmly and efficiently. Knowing that you can safely remove and replace your twin-set rig underwater adds a critical layer of safety to your dives.

4. Building Confidence and Comfort: Learning and practicing twin-set removal and replacement builds your confidence and comfort in the water. This skill challenges you to handle your equipment in a controlled and deliberate manner, reinforcing your ability to remain calm and composed during complex underwater tasks. As a result, you'll be better prepared for any unexpected situations that arise during your dives.

Overall, learning this skill can help divers handle the unique challenges of technical diving, making dives safer and more enjoyable.

I have another video for Single Tank recreational divers for the same skill, removal and replacement of rig while in mid-water.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks!

a SB member once posted a video of him removing a set of steel doubles

Unless that is re-posted in the pub, I don't think many want to re-live that viewing experience :)

The video shows the diver removing a set of AL80s. Just curious, would you advocate this for a heavy set of steel doubles?

It would be cool if it was possible. To offset the buoyancy of a drysuit you'd be grossly overweighted.

I think you should give it a shot when you get your new suit. I'll help by filming it🤣🤣🤣

I had to remove my doubles often, steel 12l with a alu backplate. My valves would get stuck in lines while working in bad-zero vis, and sinking to the bottom might break off the line so I had to stay as neutral as possible.
It helps that I use a weight belt, it makes it easier to maintain buoyancy just by breathing but also sucks because when I work I'm severely overweighted.
If your valves are entangled this technique might not work depending on the tension/strength of the line you are entangled in. My favourite part is when an necklaced reg get's stuck under a shoulder strap so you have to take the whole thing off again, that definitely never happened to me /s

It ducking sucks, it takes time and concentration and I don't want to do it ever again, but I will have to and it's nice knowing that I can.

The video shows the diver removing a set of AL80s. Just curious, would you advocate this for a heavy set of steel doubles?
A solo diver absolutely needs to be able to doff his/her rig (IMHO)--even if it's a doubles rig, and even if he/she is wearing a drysuit. (What's the alternative?)

rx7diver

I may not be good at many things, but I do learn from other's mistakes! :rofl3:
I promise I won't show a soul:) I never showed anyone you dancing on the boat in chaps... and that was way weirder than this.

A solo diver absolutely needs to be able to doff his/her rig (IMHO)--even if it's a doubles rig, and even if he/she is wearing a drysuit. (What's the alternative?)

rx7diver
I have never seen anyone do it, video or otherwise in thick undergarments / cold water. I solo all the time, I guess there's always a chance you have to get out of your gear, but **** really hit the fan leading to that point... I guess if you absolutely had to you could flood the suit to not be so buoyant and pray you don't rocket too fast?

How would you do it without being ridiculously over weighted?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom