Doubles trim issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, thought i'd post this here because you guys would be familiar with this i'm quite sure.

I'm having issues with trim and doubles. I'm quite front heavy with these and need some suggestions as to how to balance it out. I'm trying to avoid ankle weights here if possible. I've put the bands as high on the tanks as possible - they're hitting the round zone.

What are some options - v weight lower on the unit? Anything else?

thanks

steve

Are you arching your back?

If you've got the bands as high as you can, and the tanks as low as possible on the backplate, and the backplate adjusted properly, and you don't need any additional weight for buoyancy, then to my mind you want the solution that adds the least additional weight to your kit as possible while solving the trim problem.
That means the longest lever arm... and that means ankle weights.
Now, if you just can't stand the thought of someone thinking you're something less than the best if you use ankle weights, then by all means use a keel weight or a DUI harness slung real low... but realize you'll have to carry more weight there (probably at least double) than you would in ankle weights. Can't get around the physics.
E.

...with heavy fins (jets, turtles) you can extend you feet back a little further and balance out that way.

Arching your back will help but it shouldn't be necessary to assume an uncomfortable position.

This isn't an uncommon situation when first learning to dive doubles but be encouraged... you will get it trimmed out.

I advise against ankle weights... but a small half V-weight on the lower bolt will offset the crossover manifold and extra 1st stage.... other than those two items the trim with doubles shouldn't be any different that with a single.

I think the arch is there - but i'll see if emphasizing it more helps.

Fact is, i've been adding small weights to my thigh pockets to figure out just how much i need. - its usually 2 - 3 pounds per pocket depending on undergarments. Which i figured may translate into 1.5 to 2 pounds at the ankle.

As far as ankle weights go, i truly dont care what others think, but i'm just looking for potential other solutions before taking the easy road.

steve

wetman once bubbled...
I think the arch is there - but i'll see if emphasizing it more helps.

Fact is, i've been adding small weights to my thigh pockets to figure out just how much i need. - its usually 2 - 3 pounds per pocket depending on undergarments. Which i figured may translate into 1.5 to 2 pounds at the ankle.

As far as ankle weights go, i truly dont care what others think, but i'm just looking for potential other solutions before taking the easy road.

steve
What about throwing those on a weightbelt?

You didn't state what kind of BP you use. If it's SS, go to an AL BP. That will take off about 5 lbs from the top of the fulcrum.

If your doing the nose dive that bad your overweight. Take the v weight out or use an AL plate....

Current setup - aluminum backplate and no extra weights other than the tanks and other rigging. On single pst 104s i have an ss backplate and i typically dont need weights there either - worked it down to needing none on that rig with either drysuit or wetsuit/skin.

No vweight or anything else currently used. If i wasnt such a chiselled rock of a man, this might not be an issue :) (it may be hidden by a layer of baby fat however, but i'm SURE its in there)

And as far as nose dives, its not a nose dive down, its very much a quick pivot .

I absolutely hate the idea of adding weights to this setup. Its killed me to even experiment in the pockets but i realize i have little choice i think.

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom