Doubles Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What size double tanks are common for intro use. At what size do double steel tanks become to much to handle?

c555:
What size double tanks are common for intro use. At what size do double steel tanks become to much to handle?

There are lots of tanks that get doubled up. When is big too big? Depends on the diver.

A set of old 2250 psi steel 72's makes a nice starter set, and if you shop a bit you can often get the tanks inexpensively.

I'd recommend taking to your instructor, see what he thinks appropriate for the dives you want to do.

If possible rent a few different sizes.

Tobin

c555:
At what size do double steel tanks become to much to handle?

If you can't lift them they might be too big. If they don't carry enough gas to complete the dive with a remaining 1/3 they are too small.

My instructor thinks a set of 72s, 85s, 100s, and a single 120 with an H valve is a good collection.

Most of the guys I'm diving with like LP 85s or HP100s, depending on the type of dives you want to do with them you'll have many options.

I chose the 100s for scalability as well as being able to pull two "single" tank dives off of one fill. If I had the money I'd definately get a set of 72s for the dives that require less gas.

I second the idea that you should discuss this with your instructor, look at what your dive buddies are diving, etc. Its considered good practice by some to all dive similar tanks. Others think that your personal RMV should be taken into account so that you can dive as long as your buddies who may be using more/less air.

Steel 72's and AL80's are bouyancy freindly for a wet suited diver and are both readily available and comparatively inexpensive. They also offer a useful amount of gas for a diver with a decent SAC rate and will provide enough gas for 20-25 minutes at 150 ft. - making them useful tanks for entry level deco diving with run times in the 45-60 minute range.

Money permitting and if you can find them, E7-100's are great tanks with 100 cu ft stuffed in a more or less AL80 sized and weighted package with excellent bouyancy traits.

i guess it depends on the diver... my back is not what it used to be, so my
LP 85's are just about right.

i am thinking of moving up to 100's in the future.

about the biggest tanks i see doubled with regularity by cave divers are 104's,
but i have a limited sample size (i.e. i always see the same crowd)

Back
Top Bottom