Doubles, singles and boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I will soon be diving with single 119's. Eventually I had thought about doubles. Maybe doubling up the 119's. Having never dove anything larger than an 80, would doubling these typically be good for (2) dives at a max depth of 110' or would that typically be running short on gas? I would assume based upon gas consumption with an 80, the doubled 119's should work. I realize my sac rate and physical condition and physical stress affects this, so it is just a ball park. Oh, and the main point for me is "do I need to have two sets of doubles" or will one set work for diving within NDL?

oversea:
I will soon be diving with single 119's. Eventually I had thought about doubles. Maybe doubling up the 119's. Having never dove anything larger than an 80, would doubling these typically be good for (2) dives at a max depth of 110' or would that typically be running short on gas? I would assume based upon gas consumption with an 80, the doubled 119's should work. I realize my sac rate and physical condition and physical stress affects this, so it is just a ball park. Oh, and the main point for me is "do I need to have two sets of doubles" or will one set work for diving within NDL?

I currently dive double 119's (when I dive doubles). There's plenty of gas for two dives, assuming that you have a reasonable SAC rate. It would be difficult to answer your question without knowing your SAC rate, how long you expect to stay at 110', how long you expect to stay down altogether and/or the average depth/time of your planned dives.

Something to consider, your SAC rate WILL increase when you start using doubles ... or at least, mine did. You're pushing more weight through the water, and many aspects of your diving will have to go through a learning curve. For me, the hardest part is getting my trim right ... even after 20 or so dives on doubles, I still have to work at my trim, whereas in singles I don't have to even think about it.

To answer your final question ... most folks I know don't own two sets of doubles, but some do (some even own three sets) ... it all depends on how much diving you plan to do.

FWIW - I can often manage to get three dives out of my double 119's. Best I've done so far (over the course of three dives) is 3 hours and 19 minutes at an average depth of 49 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I currently dive double 119's (when I dive doubles). There's plenty of gas for two dives, assuming that you have a reasonable SAC rate. It would be difficult to answer your question without knowing your SAC rate, how long you expect to stay at 110', how long you expect to stay down altogether and/or the average depth/time of your planned dives.

Something to consider, your SAC rate WILL increase when you start using doubles ... or at least, mine did. You're pushing more weight through the water, and many aspects of your diving will have to go through a learning curve. For me, the hardest part is getting my trim right ... even after 20 or so dives on doubles, I still have to work at my trim, whereas in singles I don't have to even think about it.

To answer your final question ... most folks I know don't own two sets of doubles, but some do (some even own three sets) ... it all depends on how much diving you plan to do.

FWIW - I can often manage to get three dives out of my double 119's. Best I've done so far (over the course of three dives) is 3 hours and 19 minutes at an average depth of 49 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, I was hoping to just find out what one typically gets (time) from doubled 119's. If I could potentially get two dives from it, I'd be pretty happy. I don't really want to shell out more for another set.

oversea:

If the tanks are LP's you can always fill/top off of alum 80's on the boat. A transfer hose is much cheaper than another set of doubles. Just ask the dive boat operator to bring a few extra 80's. If they are HP's than your not going to be able to transfer as easy.

CB

AZ_Zoner:
If the tanks are LP's you can always fill/top off of alum 80's on the boat. A transfer hose is much cheaper than another set of doubles. Just ask the dive boat operator to bring a few extra 80's. If there are HP's than your not going to be able to transfer as easy.

CB

But, if I have another high pressure tank, I could top my doubles off.

There is a certain cachet to showing up on a dive boat with a cool tech harness and doubles, but why bother if you're just doing relatively normal recreational dives. I have been on boats where you get these poseurs showing up with TWO sets of doubles, two HID's, a ton of auxiliary stuff - all for two 70' dives. Oh yeah, the guy also had deco bottles. Plus he speared a ridiculously undersized hogfish at night while they're just kinda resting. Training for tech is one thing - best done on dives specifically geared for tech training, but if you're diving for fun, have fun. Twin 119's are an armful, and a backful.
If you need the gas for a dive on something worthy like the Hydro Atlantic or the Andrea Doria or you're doing some cave stuff, use doubles by all means. You'll probably be on trimix anyway. For run-of-the-mill stuff, why bother?

Tom Winters:
There is a certain cachet to showing up on a dive boat with a cool tech harness and doubles, but why bother if you're just doing relatively normal recreational dives. I have been on boats where you get these poseurs showing up with TWO sets of doubles, two HID's, a ton of auxiliary stuff - all for two 70' dives. Oh yeah, the guy also had deco bottles. Plus he speared a ridiculously undersized hogfish at night while they're just kinda resting. Training for tech is one thing - best done on dives specifically geared for tech training, but if you're diving for fun, have fun. Twin 119's are an armful, and a backful.
If you need the gas for a dive on something worthy like the Hydro Atlantic or the Andrea Doria or you're doing some cave stuff, use doubles by all means. You'll probably be on trimix anyway. For run-of-the-mill stuff, why bother?

I don't really need (or want) doubles. Just trying to think ahead should the need arise. The only reason I may want to have doubles is for the redundency. I just recently started carrying a slung pony (bailout bottle). Aside from needing them, having doubles keeps the rig all together, ie no other tanks to carry on the boat, could be rigged the night before, won't roll around my truck....and so on.

oversea:

I am going to assume that you would have the appropriate gear and skills needed to dive doubles, it is a little more complicated than in might seem at first. If you don't... bring your wallet, it's really expensive.

An aluminum 80 tank actually holds only about 77.4 cubic feet of gas when it is filled to its rated pressure of 3000 PSI. Your 119 should hold about 119 cubic feet of gas at its rated fill pressure of (I am assuming here) 3442 PSI.

When you dive an aluminum 80 many boats like you to get back onto the boat with between 500 PSI and 700 PSI. At 500 PSI you should have about 13 cubic feet of gas left in the tank, at 700 PSI you should have around 18 cubic feet of gas left in the tank. Remember, this is the gas left in the tank when you are finished with the dive, you need to safely calculate when you need to begin your ascent so as not to use this small reserve of gas. If you have doubled your 119's and want to have 18 cubic feet of gas left when you finish your second dive you will want to save as a reserve a little less than 300 PSI. This pressure of 300 PSI is too low for me to be comfortable with when you consider the little details like your regulator, so lets go back to the 500 to 700 PSI reserve most boats like and apply that you your doubles. At 500 PSI with your 119's doubled you will have in reserve approximatley 35 cubic feet of gas, if the boat captain is a stickler and insists on 700 PSI then we are talking about 48 cubic feet or so. Since you are using doubles I would probably be fairly comfortable with the 500 PSI mark to be back on the boat, so lets take that reserve of 35 cubic feet away from your total volume of 238 cubic feet. This leaves you with half of this remaining volume for each dive, remember, if you use more on the first dive you are taking this gas away from you on your second, leave the reserve alone. 238 cubic feet minus your reserve leaves you with 203 cubic feet for the two dives and half of that is, well lets just round it to 100 cubic feet per dive. If you want to look at it as tank pressure then Start your first dive with 3442 PSI and end the first dive with 1971 PSI (or better even round this to 2000 PSI). For your second dive just come out of the water with at least 500 PSI in your tank and you should be fine. The actual pressures are 1471 PSI for the first dive, 1471 PSI for the second dive, 500 PSI in reserve. These values are almost certainly imposible to hit exactly on most pressure guages so the 2000 PSI mark is easy for the first dive and the 500 PSI mark for the second.

The 100 or so cubic feet per dive you have available with double 119's is clearly more gas than the 59 cubic feet you could comfortably work with on a single AL80. The doubles introduce more drag and sheer weight so you will be working harder with these tanks than you would with a single tank, so that alone will burn up some of your available gas, but the net result is yes you will have more gas using the doubles than the single. But you need to remember that the larger amount of gas will not magically change the amount of bottom time available based on either tables or your computer.

If it was me, I would keep the 119 as a single until I had a really good reason to make a set of doubles. Good reasons are Cave diving, or Planned decompression diving, or Wreck penetration, each of these reasons requires additional training. A Deco class is a good place to start.

I hope this helps, and I hope my math is right.

Mark Vlahos

StSomewhere:
How else would you learn do dive doubles except by diving doubles?

my thoughts exactly, surely it's a good idea to be extremely comfortable in your doubles before you start a deco or cave class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom