Doubles or single tank with 2 first stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about getting a new tank for next winter. In this corner, a 15L tank to be used with the first stages (Y or H). In the other corner, a set of small doubles (2x7L).

I am not thinking about going technical. I just want to have some additional gas and more safety for cold water diving.

Any comments?

The 7ltr. tanks may be fairly short and a little difficult to balance out. Don't you think?

I opted for a HP120 with an H valve over a small set of doubles. Since I don't do Tec yet, it gives me enough gas for almost any profile I do and redundant regulators. Also as pointed out, one tank to fill not two.

Tek Adventure Diver:
I would say doubles but possibly a larger tank. It ends up being less gas. Although it is better because of the reduncey, but larger tanks,
Why would small doubles end up with less gas that a big single? (or am I reading this wrong?)

This would be my preference in order:
1. 2x12
2. 15
3. 2x7

Double 12s give you more gas and better cost-benefit without being all that heavy. They will also allow you to do 2 dives on one fill.
I think a single 15 is a bit too unstable (sticks out too far from your back as a single...I dive double 15´s so nothing against the tanks themselves) to be a first choice but the economics are better than for small doubles.
Double 7s is a really nice package, easy to carry, sit well on your back etc but IMO they don´t carry enough gas to justify the expense...

Why don't use double tanks 12x 2 = 24lt instead of single tank,
You used 40lb BP setup single wing for 15lt and 7 x2 = 14lt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom