doubles in DIR diving wet....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icarusflies

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ALL

I am thinking to follow the DIR way through GUE...for this I am going to get a set of doubles (i know that I don't need them but I want the get used to them). My question is: since I ll be diving wet does DIR accept steel doubles with dual bladder wings....if not, is there a way to dive wet with steel doubles besides using a dry suit.....if the answer is no, how about double AL80, are they DIR

thanks;

Icarusflies:
Hello ALL

does DIR accept steel doubles with dual bladder wings....;

The short answer is no.

Icarusflies:
...if the answer is no, how about double AL80, are they DIR

thanks;

Double Al80s are fine.

I'd argue that LP85s are fine too and would be my top choice. I went with AL80 doubles and like them a lot, but I sure wish I had some LP85s.

Icarusflies, what kind of diving do you contemplate doing?

One of the basic principles that the DIR philosophy follows is that, if you don't need it, don't take it with you. If your diving will primarily be above 100 fsw, non-overhead, non-decompression diving, you don't need doubles.

If you are going to do a lot of recreational diving in the deeper range (100 to 130 fsw), then doubles are a good idea for the redundancy, and also because the rock bottom at those depths becomes a very significant part of a single tank. Obviously, if you are going to do any wreck penetration or decompression diving, doubles become mandatory.

For open ocean diving in a wetsuit, Al80's are the recommended tank to double.

I plan to do dive in the NDL range. Most of them will be above 100 fsw just because they are more frecuents with the operators however if there is a dive bellow 100 fsw (and above 130 fsw) I am in.

Not for nothin, but with less than 100 dives(per your profile) should you be planning to spend time in deco and are you trained for it? Nothing personal, I am just trying to get a grip on your level of diving.

I would say, in that case, that you can be perfectly DIR with a single tank setup.

I appreciate your posts, thanks you guys.

I am not planning to do deco, I am not trainned for that, but to have the redundancy of the doubles is nice. I am planning to get trained towards tech diving later so I also want to get used to doubles.

I realize that doubles is an overkill for the kind of dives I do but double AL80's don't look like a dangerous piece of equipment that could put me in danger at my level, correct me if I am wrong.

I have 74 dives, I dive every week end so I am accuaring experience fast

Icarusflies:
I appreciate your posts, thanks you guys.

I am not planning to do deco, I am not trainned for that, but to have the redundancy of the doubles is nice. I am planning to get trained towards tech diving later so I also want to get used to doubles.

I realize that doubles is an overkill for the kind of dives I do but double AL80's don't look like a dangerous piece of equipment that could put me in danger at my level, correct me if I am wrong.

I have 74 dives, I dive every week end so I am accuaring experience fast

You're right. There is nothing dangerous about diving doubles. Nobody ever died from carrying too much gas.

If I was just starting out I would go with AL80s doubled up because they can be broken down into singles later for use as stage or deco tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom