Doubles - dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
You know, the little steel 72s I'm diving are a reasonable compromise. I couldn't cope with doubled Al80's -- I had to wear 36 pounds of weight to sink one of them. In fresh water, with less exposure protection, that would be different.

With your weighting issues and where you mostly dive, you should look into the newer 72's probably. The ones that are 6 pounds negative empty. They sound like a great solution in terms of how much weight you'd need to carry around.

I initially thought that ideal would be the tanks that were most negative for their total weight, but now that I've played with this rig a little, I realize that very negative tanks are just putting MORE weight up on my back, and I'd be afraid that there would be NO way to trim out such a setup, since I'd have so little additional weight to play with.

Are you planning to dive dry in your cavern class? A lot of people take that class in Mexico divng wet. I wouldn't want to travel for another class and have to deal with unknown doubles again. Fortunately, my instructor was travelling too so he understood my flailing around with the new tanks for half a dive. You just never know what you'll get when you rent.

Al80s make a great starter set, a great recreational set and a purdy darn good set for technical diving when planning for limited exposures.

They're relatively inexpensive, relatively managable on land or a rolling deck, and not as "floaty" as some folks believe.

I don't know that you need doubles, SS, but if you want to play around with some, then the Al80's will do you well. If you already have some extra cylinders, ptutting them together won't be such a huge investment. But remember... you will need a plate, a doubles wing, and two reg sets. It WILL add up!

Lynne,

I can't imagine any cave instructor recommending that you ship your twin 72s. You won't need them, for one, and they won't be enough for your cavern class. It's not unheard of to need two sets of Al80s to make it through the day. Maybe the GUE guys do it different but that's been my experience down there... two sets of doubles so that you don't have to go back for a fill.

The most popular exposure protection is a 3mm full with a 5/3 hooded vest. Often, a standard SS BP and a can light is all that is needed... the weight belt stays in the car. (Personally, I think that's cheating, but...)

I have dived dry and wet down there. With my drysuit and a 200 gm undie I use an Al plate and 8 pounds on my belt. I can't imagine that you would need anything like what you've mentioned above.

Oh... wet is the way to go, BTW.

Oh, I never for a minute thought about shipping my tanks! I just figured I'd rent tanks down there, and assumed they'd be doubled Al80s. When we get closer to the time, I'll go play in Lake Washington (fresh water) in a wetsuit and a drysuit and a borrowed set of 80's and see how it all goes.

Right now, I just want a set of doubles I can trim out so I can begin to learn problem-solving with them. And tonight, I put some weights in my drysuit pockets and trimmed out perfectly, so I could gain humility.

So after reading everyone's posts I decide to make our Al80s into a set of doubles. This way we will have them around to work with in either the pool or out at our local lake. A set of bands and valves ran $270. Of course I just had to buy a few other toys as well, good thing our birthdays are next month ;-)

She can use my SS plate which will make them only a few pounds negative when empty and with a 3mm suit she will have a few pounds of lead left for trim. So hopefully this will let her get in some more time before we head back to FL for some additional tech training.

With a SS plate I doubt she'll need any weight. Might be head heavy.

In freshwater I'm using an AL plate and 4 lbs on a belt. 7/5mm jumpsuit with 3mm hooded vest.

rjack321:
With a SS plate I doubt she'll need any weight. Might be head heavy.

In freshwater I'm using an AL plate and 4 lbs on a belt. 7/5mm jumpsuit with 3mm hooded vest.

A fine reason to buy an AL plate as well. :D

Scared Silly:
A fine reason to buy an AL plate as well. :D

Don't forget the doubles wing. :wink:

I dive mine with a SS plate. I would lose 4 lbs with an AL plate so I haven't bothered.

Back
Top Bottom